Reporting to the Senior Director of Major Gifts, the Senior Development Officer is a key member of the broader Harvard Business School (HBS) frontline fundraising team and is responsible for securing 7- and 8-figure philanthropic commitments for HBS. The Sr. Development Officer manages the qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of approximately 150 households. They will be expected to develop strategies to maximize philanthropy to HBS from their portfolio, partnering often with colleagues from across the broader External Relations (ER) organization, the School, and the University. In collaboration with colleagues across ER, the Sr. Development Officer will engage in the development and execution of strategic engagement activities to support development objectives.
Specific duties and responsibilities will include:
- Qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of ~150 HBS households with the capacity to make 7- and 8-figure philanthropic commitments.
- Develop an understanding of and travel frequently to assigned region(s) to achieve annual fundraising goals and to develop pipeline of future fundraising activity.
- Develop and represent a strong working knowledge of the top fundraising priorities for the School, other HBS activities and initiatives, and the School’s presence in the MGO’s assigned region(s).
- Contribute to the planning of regional events, engagement opportunities, and faculty/senior leadership travel.
- Demonstrate a commitment to ongoing professional development, including the articulation of an annual professional development plan.
- Perform other responsibilities upon request, as needed.
- BA/BS or equivalent
- At least 5-7 years of frontline fundraising or related professional experience. (Level of position determined by qualifications.)
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- A strong command of fundraising principles (including experience with annual giving and gift planning in a major gifts setting), a high level of organization and professionalism, an ability to think creatively and be open to new ideas, and a commitment to the HBS mission of educating leaders who make a difference in the world.
- The ability to develop, implement, and assess effective donor-centered fundraising strategies.
- A proven fundraising track record that includes directly soliciting, negotiating, and closing seven-figure gifts, preferably in an academic setting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to relate to donors, volunteers, and colleagues, including: excellent judgment, diplomacy, discretion, and the ability to maintain confidentiality in and outside of the organization.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills, detail-orientation, and ability to self-motivate.
- Enthusiastic contributor to the Major Gifts team and the broader ER community.