As a Sr. Development Engineer, you will have responsibility for design and testing of application devices for caulks, sealants, foams, adhesives, and patch/repair products, as well as functional packaging for these products. You will work closely with Marketing, Product Management, Manufacturing, and R&D to ensure that the designs meet market needs, cost targets, and production requirements.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Work independently to initiate and manage industrial design projects related to new product development across all DAP product categories;
- Analyze customer needs and insights, and translate them into value-added design solutions;
- Participate in on-site ethnographic Voice of Customer research;
- Design, prototype, and test application tool and packaging designs;
- Identify and select materials and components to meet design objectives;
- Develop and perform competitive assessments and analyses;
- Identify, assess and select potential 3rd party design and /or manufacturing partners, and act as our liaison with selected firm(s);
- Travel to production facilities to evaluate processes;
- Act as the “thought leader” for the business regarding tool and packaging design.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering / Design;
- 5 or more years of hands-on experience in design, prototyping, and testing of mechanical systems;
- Knowledge of materials selection and manufacturing processes and direct experienceworking with a a broad array of materials;
- Strong project management skills;
- Excellent working knowledge of Computer Aided Design modelling concepts and software;
- Proven track record of successful new product design and development;
- Ability to work effectively with a cross-functional team from project concept through commercialization;
- Experience with design of application tools and/or packaging of materials similar to sealants, adhesives, or foams;
- Experience working with tooling manufacturers, both domestically and internationally;
- A passion for design, engineering, problem solving, and creativity;
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication and presentation skills;
- A breadth of technical knowledge and a keen interest in learning from others.
- Some travelrequired.