The Senior Developer’s role is to support the systems utilized by our business units. This individual will apply proven analytical and problem-solving skills to help identify and resolve technical issues in order to maximize the benefit of IT systems investments. Senior Developers create integration with other systems along with development in support of new or changed requirements. Primary responsibilities include requirements analysis to gain an understanding of business needs to develop level of effort estimates, software design and development, unit testing, performing design and code reviews, and development of technical documentation. Additional responsibilities include performing system analyses, code modifications, and functional testing to troubleshoot application production issues.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of the company’s Energy Trade Risk Management (ETRM) related application portfolio, development tools, and development procedures.
- Actively participate in the development and review of business and system requirements to obtain a thorough understanding of business needs in order to deliver robust solutions.
- Provide development activities level of effort and duration estimates for schedule planning.
- Proactively manage activities to deliver required work on time.
- Design application solutions that fully implement business requirements.
- Develop high quality software code in accordance with established company standards and development guidelines.
- Produce technical documentation that accurately and thoroughly depicts the software design and code base. The documentation needs to sufficiently assist QA testing and production support activities.
- Perform adequate unit testing of own and other developers’ application development work. At a minimum, unit testing should ensure all requirements have been addressed, all basic functionality works, and errors are handled properly.
- Expeditiously troubleshoot application production issues that resolve the issues without causing additional problems.
- Review and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems and develop strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems.
- Provide updates on work in progress, work completed, work planned, and issues potentially impacting the on time completion or quality level of work.
- Perform systems analysis and functional testing as needed.
- Complete project responsibilities including design, coding, unit testing, and documentation on time at required quality level. Performance will be measured by timely completion, quality, and quantity of work delivered. All schedule dates should be met except for approved date changes by appropriate manager.
- Perform code reviews, unit testing, and system testing as needed for other developers’ efforts. At a minimum, code reviews, unit testing, and system testing should ensure all requirements have been addressed, all basic functionality works, and errors are handled properly.
- Support all current applications, as well as take lead in new application development initiatives to rewrite older applications in newer technologies.
- Provide timely support of operational processes as needed. Performance will be measured by the ability to independently support operations to minimize business disruptions.
- Occasional evening and weekend work to meet deadlines.
- Regular attendance at the worksite is required.
Position Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working technical knowledge of one or more programming languages is required.
- Working knowledge of network and PC operating systems is required.
- Technical proficiency in specific areas of the current development technologies (MS SQL Server, T-SQL, Reporting, and Analytics).
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite is required.
- Ability to quickly master new technologies as needed.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to excellent customer service.
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Must be dependable with a stable work history.
- Ability to maintain stability under pressure and be flexible and willing to modify plans and behavior when necessary.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends and/or holidays.
- Ability to be a positive representative of the Company both internally and externally.
- Ability to work with respect and cooperation at all times with fellow employees and customers.
- Must be committed to working safely at all times.
- Bachelors degree in Business, Computer Science, or related field, or equivalent experience is required.
- Experience in the functionality of ETRM related software in a Windows/SQL Server environment is required.
- Proven experience in applications support of RightAngle ETRM application is required.
- Exposure to business operations related to upstream and mid-stream energy sectors is required.
- Experience in the oil & gas energy sector is required.
- Proven experience in applications support of RightAngle ETRM application.
- Development experience in RightAngle.NET - Client, Server, Report C# Code and configuration customizations is required.
- Development experience in RightAngle PowerBuilder is preferred.
Up to 10% travel required. Requires the ability to travel to field locations where environment may vary significantly.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must occasionally position, transport and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Be stationary for long periods of time;
- Work in confined or restrictive working spaces;
- Balance with equipment and while moving large and/or heavy objects;
- Use hands to finger, handle, or feel;
- Reach with hands and arms above the head and to ground level;
- Push and pull material and equipment from one place to another;
- Communicate with and exchange information verbally and in writing;
- Move about in an office environment;
- Work using repetitive motion.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Work requires physical efforts associated with using the computer and phones to access information.
The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is:
- Regularly in an office environment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.