Reporting to the Leader, Data Exchange Services and Business Analytics Reporting, the role of Senior Designer for Business Analytics and Reporting is to ensure the effective design and implementation of the Canadian Student Lending Program reporting solution. This role serves as a Technical Lead for the Business Analytics and Reporting team providing technical guidance, review and support. This role promote clarity and efficiency in using data to drive decision-making.
Key Accountabilities and Essential Job Functions
- Develop and deliver a robust ETL framework, well aligned with the company’s long-term strategic goals for data architecture vision.
- Ensure the solutions supports Canadian Student Lending Program client data needs and can be easily extended to newly acquired clients and their standards.
- Liaise with vendors and service providers to select the products or services that best meet company cost and performance goals related to data architecture and analytics
- Work with cross-functional groups to understand reporting requirements and solution design.
- Translate project requirements into functional and non-functional specifications for BI reports and applications.
- Develop and implement BI solutions. Develop, enhance and maintain reporting solutions including (but not limited to) self-service reporting environments, corporate dashboards, reporting cubes and direct database access environment for BI “power users”.
- Prepare all necessary documentation that clearly describes solution and Meta data.
- Monitor, tune up and administer BI Environments for quality and optimal performance purpose. Debug, monitor and troubleshoot BI solutions.
- Be aware of and comply with all corporate and department policies, procedures and standards that apply to your work area.
- Lead conceptual and physical design, development and implementation of enterprise level BI and ETL framework, conforming to well defined business, technical rules and SLAs, preserving reusability of artifacts, single version of truth, centralization of logic, testability and well-designed error handling
- Working closely with both enterprise level and project level team - data owners, stewards, users, business analysts, developers, quality analysts, department managers, architects and other stakeholders to ensure strategic goals and tactical implementation are in alignment.
- Ensure that ETL strategies and architectures are in regulatory compliance.
- 5+ years of experience developing and maintaining ETL and BI tools and platforms such as SSIS, Power BI, Informatica and Microstrategy
- Hands-on experience with data architecting, large-scale data modeling, and business requirements gathering/analysis, reporting UI/UX design.
- Master data management hands on implementation
- Experienced in large scale multi-tenancy data base design
- Direct experience in implementing enterprise data management processes, procedures, and decision support and coaching DBA teams on high performance data monitoring
- Experience with business requirements analysis, entity relationship planning, database design, reporting structures, and so on.
- Expert level SQL, PL/SQL
- Experience with data processing flowcharting techniques.
Skills & Knowledge
- 5+ years’ work experience as a BI and ETL architect, designer.
- Understanding of large scale DB and reporting solution design, Source to Target Mappings, distributed DB design, multi environment structures, logical DB partitioning strategy, data archiving and retention, design and development of reporting semantic layer and view objects and logic
- Strong understanding of BI & ETL technologies, relational and dimensional data structures, Big Data hands-on experience, principles, and best practices.
- Strong familiarity with metadata management and associated processes.
- Demonstrated expertise with repository creation, and data and information system life cycle methodologies.
- Ability to manage data and metadata migration.
- Understanding of Web services (SOAP, XML, REST, JSON, UDDI, WSDL).
- Good knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.