The Splunk Senior Detection and Monitoring Operations (D&MO) Analyst reports to the Sr. Manager of Detection and Monitoring Operations. This role is based in Tyson’s Corner, VA. You will be responsible for the 24x7 monitoring, operations and response to cyber security threats. You are someone who has expert level understanding of Information Security principles and disciplines coupled with excellent communications skills and a continuous desire to learn and grow. We are a passionate team who has fun, enjoys a good laugh but above all else thinks security first.
- Make key decisions in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for necessary resolution
- Improve content used to detect anomalous behavior within our environment
- You will perform monitoring, research, assessment and analysis on all notable security events from a variety of technologies such as firewalls, intrusion detection systems, cloud services, endpoint security and operating system events.
- You will address more complicated events as the second tier of escalation
- You will author and follow appropriate pre-defined procedures to consistently investigate security events
- You use your wealth of experience to provide recommendations and requirements for new technologies.
- Make key contacts and network/partner with senior internal and external personnel areas of Security and areas of outside expertise
- You will play a senior level role in determining best methods/practices for routine compliance and control monitoring and assist in creation of new monitoring capabilities as controls evolve
- You will handle daily tasks, ad-hoc assignments and lead small projects as needed
- Participate as a member of the SplunkCIRT during major incidents and lend contributions to post-Incident review and continuous improvement
- Participate in complex threat hunting endeavors
- Mentor and advise junior analysts as needed to facilitate growth
- You have 8 years of experience as a SOC Analyst or equivalent knowledge
- You have expert level knowledge of security-related technologies including cloud service providers, firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and endpoint security tools
- You also are well versed in the areas of TCP/IP protocols, network analysis, and the OSI framework
- You have a very solid understanding of Incident Response framework, root cause analysis
- You can design an efficient Splunk search and know what to do to make our Splunk searches more efficient and accurate
- You have written new signatures for common security tools from the ground-up and know how to deploy them
- You have working knowledge of endpoint and server systems administration
- You have the ability to multitask, prioritize and take-charge
- You have the willingness and desire to think outside of the box for creative solutions to problems with the moxie to follow-through.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to see things through the customer’s eyes
- Solid attention to detail
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information security or related discipline is required or equivalent work experience.