senior designer, Store Development & Design
Job Summary and Mission
This position contributes to Starbucks success by elevating the overall quality of store design and new concepts that uphold Starbucks Customer Experience while meeting cost, schedule, and operational requirements. Provides design leadership and mentorship to store design teams and acts as the voice of designwith cross-functional team members.
Collaborates with the design leadership to effectively lead and elevate design and new concepts, including flagship and high profile projects.
Models and acts in accordance with Starbucks guiding principles.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Setting goals for the work group, developing organizational capability, and modeling how we work together:
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the immediate team of direct reports promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results
- Supports the implementation of company programs to ensure the success of the Company.
- Establish and communicate design standards. Provide store design team with design guidance and direction.
Planning and Execution
- Developing strategic and operational plans for the work group, managing execution, and measuring results:
- Prepares, communicates and educates client groups and team on changes in policies and practices within the organization
- Plans and manages business unit and department processes and practices to ensure that programs are aligned with company business goals and objectives.
- Shares knowledge of regional trends, communicates/educates store design team and translates into store and new concept design.
- Lead design review in partnership with design leadership.
- Providing functional expertise and executing functional responsibilities:
- Lead new store design concepts including high profile and flagship store projects. Advocates for design with key stakeholders to elevate design within region/market. Lead and/or manage design initiative projects to be deployed/rolled out to other markets.
- Design and complete high profile, brand building and/or core store projects per year. Collect regional design ethos differences and work with the store design team to identify opportunities. Participate in regional planning; travel as needed for project execution, learning opportunities and provide design training to regional design teams.
Partner Development & Team Building
- Providing partners with coaching, feedback, and developmental opportunities and building effective teams:
- Challenges and inspires team members to achieve business results.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Ensures partners adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of partners directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to team members in order to achieve partners, business and customer results
- Provides design education, quality reviews, and provides feedback on design projects.
- Participates in performance calibrations and succession planning for design teams. Acts as a key member of the store design leadership team.
Summary of Experience
- Design leadership role in a retail, hospitality or restaurant design or development organization including management of construction documents and/or new store concept development (7-10 years)
- Team leadership/supervision at senior level in a national organization (7-10 years)
- Bachelors degreerequired in relevant field (7-10 years)
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to apply knowledge of multidisciplinary business principles and practices to achieve successful outcomes in cross-functional projects and activities
- Excellent team leadership skills
- Current knowledge of industry trends in retail store and restaurant design including furniture and finishes
- Current working knowledge of building and health codes and compliance issues
- Demonstrated 3D visualization ability and working knowledge of color and design principles including experience with revit and sketchup
- Ability to balance design, with operational needs and budget objectives resulting in exceptional store environments
- Ability to execute multiple designs under tight deadlines
- Skilled in the visual, written and verbal communication of design issues
- Ability to translate stated design principles / objectives into unique and varied store locations