Purpose of Job:
Working as part of a dynamic team within Scotiabank's Real Estate Department, the Manager, Architectural Standards, is responsible for the drafting and detailing of specific branch design projects, developing standard branch details and specifications, and for the efficient and timely verification of working construction drawings of domestic branch layouts.
The individual requires an intimate knowledge of the National Building Code, and a deep and detailed knowledge of construction materials, methods, and processes.
The incumbent is responsible for researching, developing, and recommending details for ongoing upgrades to Bank standards for various construction methods and processes within a team environment.
A minimum of 7-10 years of architectural design experience is a requirement.
1. Maximize the cost-effective and timely construction/renovation of design projects for Bank branches prior to the tendering process by:
• reviewing a high volume of drawings, specifications, etc., for each project produced internally and by contractors and consultants to ensure that they are accurate relative to the Bank's defined scope of work, satisfy Bank standards and are coordinated with Bank counter fittings, signage, on-line systems and FF&E requirements;
• analyzing and approving notices of change, change orders and shop drawings from consultants and othercontractors.
2. Develop and maintain Bank drawing, drafting and maintenance standards for design staff, consultants and contractors by:
• developing and maintaining an intimate knowledge of improved methods, materials, and processes;
• developing and maintaining an in-house architectural reference library;
• defining and demonstrating the Bank requirements for fixtures, vault alarm outlets, conduits, millwork, ABM unit installation requirements, etc.
3. Expedite production of working drawings by consultants and contractors by:
• supervising and arranging delivery of technical information packages, counter fitting drawings, and branch on-line development drawings;
• acquiring necessary technical information from contractors such as alarm companies, suppliers and manufacturing companies;
• arranging to obtain existing drawings, specifications and project files from archives or Record Centre for Project Managers;
• ensuring that all documents are accurate and presented in an organized manner prior to submission to project managers;
• providing critical technical information to consultants and contractors as required.
4. Provide ad-hoc support as required to Department Management by researching, developing, preparing recommendations, and carrying out special projects as assigned by the Vice President, Corporate Premises and/or the Global Design Director.
5. Organize and maintain critical department records by:
• maintaining, organizing and updating an electronic library for original working drawings, standard details, specifications, inter-departmental memos, shop drawings, as-built drawings, notices of change, and office copies of communications from outside consultants, both within internal Bank of Nova Scotia and shared external FTP drives.
6. Create detailed architectural and interior design drawings and specifications by:
• selecting appropriate casework and furnishings based on Bank standards (carpet, blinds, work station furniture, public space furniture and lunchroom furniture) and client/branch needs;
• researching and selecting replacement furnishing and/or finishes as required;
• locating appropriate marketing materials within the branches.
7. Obtain prompt Senior Management authorization of standards and specifications by:
• preparing presentation documents for management approval;
• issuing documents to all concerned parties for approval, and forwarding complete approved sets of drawings to Shared Services, Security & Investigation or International Banking.
8. Provide a quality control check on execution of drawings during the construction phase by:
• providing prompt service in the event of questions, problems, or issues arising from architects, contractors, or Senior Project Mangers during construction.
9. Provide research, support and recommendations to the department management in the research, development and execution of special projects as assigned by the Vice President, Corporate Premises and/or the Global Design Director.
10. Must be flexible and able to work comfortably within a team environment:
• willing to share knowledge and ideas,
• display initiative, autonomy and leadership
Skills, Experience and Functional Competencies:
- excellent architectural design skills, including expert knowledge of CAD and 3D rendering and presentation skills;
- extensive knowledge of construction and building systems;
- knowledge and understanding of the Bank's strategic direction in real estate matters, Bank policies and procedures;
- intimate knowledge of the National Building Code
- strong communicating (visual, written, and verbal), negotiation and conflict resolution skills; ability to provide on the spot direction in a clear and concise manner;
- strong problem solving, quantitative analysis skills and project management expertise;
- strong time management skills in completing multiple tasks within critical time frames;
- strong interpersonal, team building and networking skills; able to maintain network of internal interdepartmental contacts and external consultants and suppliers;
- high degree of flexibility and able to work comfortably within a team environment, willing to share knowledge and ideas, and display initiative since autonomy and leadership is expected.
Education and Other Requirements:
- CALA (Canadian Architectural Licensing Authorities) registered architect or intern architect with ability to be registered within one year.
Requisition ID: 21452