Provide critical geotechnical engineering analysis and input to lead and perform technical reviews, mitigate potential design risk, identify and solve construction challenges, and generate optimization opportunities for pursuit and execution of design-build and design-bid-build system projects.
What you will be doing
- Ensures accuracy of technical analysis and recommendations to project pursuit meetings to ensure specialized review and understanding of construction risks and opportunities at the preconstruction phase.
- Oversees designated permanent works design and construction to ensure constructability, design optimization and efficient methods are being considered for all phases of construction project.
- Provides project-engineering duties, performs specialized engineering, analysis and implements best practice for construction needs.
- Performs constructability reviews of design deliverables for optimization, risk mitigation, compliance with contract specifications, and identification and implementation of new strategies for the Company to have a competitive and advantage.
- Supports design coordination and liaisons with Designer, Owner, subcontractors and Company Project Management to ensure united understanding of design related and construction related workflows.
- Participates and presents technical analysis, review findings and recommendations at Task Force meetings, as requested.
- Perform additional assignments per management’s direction.
- Participates in reviews and technical engineering analysis in an accurate, complete and timely manner to mitigate delay in construction schedule.
- Works closely with supporting specialized engineering teams to coordinate reviews in a timely and accurate manner back to the business.
- Maintains knowledge of Flatiron’s company values and strategic plan.
- Support published corporate policies.
What we are looking for
- Master’s Degree in Engineering required.
- Doctorate (PhD) in Engineering preferred.
- Ability to travel 10% of the time.
- 10+ years in geotechnical, structural, bridge, roadway, pavement, drainage, or related experience required.
- Active Professional Engineer (PE) license required.
- Proven understanding of constructability and construction practices.
- Design experience on a diverse array of projects through all phases of design and construction required.
- Experience with using design software for geotechnical analysis (Slide2D, Settle3D, RSPile, RS2, Plaxis2D, ShoringSuite, LPILE, APILE, GROUP, GRLWEAP, CPe-IT, spreadsheets, etc.) and general collaboration software (i.e. Bluebeam Studio) required.
- Experience with U.S. design codes and material specific standards.
- Knowledge of geotechnical and foundation system costs and procurement processes.
- Proven analytical, numerical and industry design standards knowledge required.
- Developing ability to identify design and construction risk mitigation or optimization opportunities to provide Company with a competitive advantage in cost or schedule reductions.
- Ability to lead forensic design and construction analysis regarding post-construction documentation, data gathering, analysis and causal determination.
- Able to work efficiently in a high pressure, time sensitive work environment.
- Proven knowledge regarding design and construction codes and requirements for designated work.
- Strong multi-tasking, time management and personal prioritization skills required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills required.
- Skill and ability to writing technical documents and summaries to ensure efficient and effective understanding at all levels of the organization.
- Knowledge and skill in technical writing for clear and efficient communication and understanding.
Why work for us
Some of the benefits you may be eligible for as an employee are:
- Comprehensive compensation package and paid time off program
- Industry leading 401(k)/RRSP
- Medical/Extended Health Care, Dental, Vison and/or Provincial Medical
- Wellness benefits & Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Reimbursement Program