Our Colorado Springs Specialty Seating Systems Company is recognized as the leader in designing, developing, and manufacturer of a broad spectrum of aerospace seating products. Our state-of-the-art, ACES 5 Ejection Seat is recognized as the benchmark in aircrew ejection safety. Over 6000 UTAS ejection seats are in service today on F-15, F-16, A-10, B-1, B-2, AV-8, WB-57, and other aircraft across the world in more than 25 countries. ACES has saved the lives of 639 aircrew over the last few decades
Our decade long year over year expansion is continuing with growth driven by industry leading state of the art technologies and seats that meet the latest expectations for aerospace customers worldwide. The ejection seat design team is a dream position for an engineer wanting work with very challenging requirements, state of the art technologies, advanced materials, cartridges, rockets, computer controlled devices, subsonic & supersonic aerodynamics, parachutes, aircrew equipment including advanced helmet mounted displays, and the appreciation for saving an aircrew life every few months.
The Ejection Seat Design Engineer will support the design, development, and testing of ACES ejection seat components and subsystems. The position will provide engineering deliverables through all phases of development from concept generation through qualification testing and the initial production implementation. This individual will propose new technology, create innovative design solutions, execute design reviews, work directly with customers, and support testing of the product. This position is primarily a design position but will occasionally serve as a project engineer and test engineer during customer reviews, initial seat fabrication, and during test phases of the development projects.
- Responsible for being the technical leader for small & medium (<$500K/yr) design projects or potentially be the lead engineer for a subsystem design effort for large ejection seat program project.
- Successfully executes on design/development tasks required to develop and qualify aircraft ejection seats.
- Utilizes NX 8.5 CAD software to produce 3D design models and to facilitate the drafting department in producing drawings
- Reviews all work submitted from the UTAS Global Engineering Center-India (GEC-I) and coordinates with appropriate Engineering Resources.
- Design ejection seat products or subcomponents utilizing NX 8.5 CAD system and Team Center Product Lifecycle Management Software.
- Works as the liaison between COS Design Engineering and GEC-I Engineering on technical design tasks.
- Works as part of a cohesive engineering team and with the Integrated Product Development Team (IPDT) to develop various aircraft seating products.
- Works as part of a cohesive test team testing ejection seats with state of the art anthropometric manikins (similar to automotive industry manikins) at ejection velocities from zero airspeed to beyond the speed of sound (800+ MPH groundspeed)
- Reviews requirements and evaluates new product design and functionality in support of meeting customer requirements and successful certification efforts.
- Facilitates necessary customer requirement testing to ensure product safety.
- Interacts with Marketing to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Assists Engineering Management to coordinate the timely delivery of product design and customer proposal requests.
- Conceptualizes and prepares preliminary and final detail design and documentation of systems, components, and assemblies.
- May occasionally design test fixtures, tooling, and aircraft fuselage mounts and undercarriages to mount to our track for our HMTF testing.
- Support bid and proposal activities for small, medium, and large projects.
- Adheres to all UTAS rules and codes of conduct.
- Performs other duties as required.
Qualification: Experience Required:
- At least 5 years working in an engineering position working in an IPDT environment
- Strong communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and skills facilitating working in a teamwork environment
- Strong analytical skills including strong knowledge of physics, dynamics, and statics.
- Experience with manufacturing processes
- Experience presenting design solutions to internal and external customers
- 3D CAD experience with high end CAD software (e.q. NX, Catia,)
- US Citizen or Green Card required.
- Two years of Unigraphics/NX CAD experience
- Team Center and Team Center Multi Site PLM experience
- Experience in aerospace requirements/design activities
- Experience with aircraft cockpit, crew station, escape system, ejection seat, or crew systems design
- Experience working on military programs
- Experience with machining, sheet metal, and fabric design
- Experience with energetic cartridge actuated devices or propellant actuated devices
- Experience of aerospace specifications
- Experience with FEA or Strength hand calculations
- Experience with aerospace materials and associated manufacturing processes
- Experience with electro-explosive devices
- Experience working at or with Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrup Grumman, the US Air Force, or US Navy
- Experience with lean principles, continuous improvement, or UTC Achieving Competitive Excellence (ACE)
- Experience with international engineering support groups
- The ability to visualize, design, and develop cutting edge mechanical structure, mechanisms, cartridge actuated devices, parachutes, head/neck protection devices, arm restraint devices, leg restraint devices, torso restraint devices, survival equipment, etc. to enable safe ejection that meets the very stringent department of defense expectations for ejection seat performance.
- Individual must be very detail oriented and thorough in the design activity due to the criticality of the ejection performance. A life is at stake with every part designed by this engineering position.
- Innovative, detail oriented, and dedicated to satisfactory completion of all elements of the design tasks.
- Strong customer skills and customer focus (both internal and external customers)
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently or as part of an integrated product team.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize both daily issues and long-term projects.
- 100% dedicated to following all safety procedures and precautions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Excellent computer skills, including skill in Microsoft Office applications and the ability to learn new software.
- Ability to multi-task with strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize.
10% of time traveling - primarily to customer reviews or to support testing at our Utah Hurricane Mesa Test Facility or other test facilities
Work Environment/Other Position Requirements:
- Mostly office environment or on production floor.
- Frequently in production area requiring safety glasses and steel toed shoes.
- Occasionally will be in test environment inside and outdoors requiring hands on support of testing including bending down, kneeling, extensive walking, movement up and down stairs, and extended reaching to make seat connections. Protective overalls and other personal protection will be worn as required in the test environment based on the type of testing.
- Occasionally lifting of seats, manikins, and test equipment (40 lbs maximum lifting)
- Not often, but occasional climbing on aircraft fuselages, test sleds, and on test stands may be required
- Occasionally will be on aircraft supporting seat/cockpit integration
- BA/BS Aerospace or Mechanical Engineeringdegree with 5+ years’ experience
- MA/MS Aerospace or Mechanical Engineeringdegree with 3+years’ experience
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.