As a leading worldwide provider of navigation devices and wearable technology, our focus is on developing, designing and supporting superior products. Our advanced technology promotes performance, safety and ease of use in every market we serve. That makes us an engineering and technology company with a keen focus on recruiting talent in those fields. But the same vertical integration business model that keeps all design and manufacturing processes in-house also gives us the incentive to hire top performers from different backgrounds, including operations, finance and accounting, information technology, sales, marketing and communications.
At Garmin, you do more as a design engineer than sit at a desk working on schematics. You create. You build. You DESIGN. From building printed circuit board layouts to working with various equipment (multimeters, power supplies, oscilloscopes and more), you will provide technical leadership and project planning for complex analog, digital and/or RF designs for products that are new to Garmin.
Garmin's Outdoor Design Engineering team is seeking a full-time Senior Design Engineer at our headquarters in Olathe, Kansas. In this role you will be responsible for working closely with software engineering and processor manufacturing to turn on new processors. You’ll also be responsible for partnering with mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, and software engineering to ensure robust designs and appropriate testability. Other essential functions include:
- Collaborates and adds value through participation in design reviews, providing comments on electrical design aspects and other engineering areas
- Evaluates new technologies as they apply to existing functions
- Participates in project leadership and/or program planning including providing technical input to product development plans and concept documents
- Makes substantial contributions toward determination of project goal/objective feasibility
- Mentors and provides guidance to less experienced Design Engineers (1 & 2)
- Contributes to advanced technical research on new technologies
- Independently determines general approach and specific solutions to technical problems
- Offers process improvement suggestions and authors new procedures as appropriate
- Direct and coordinate manufacture of prototypes
Qualified candidates possess a Master of Science Degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering AND a minimum of 3 years’ relevant experience OR Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering from a four-year college or university AND a minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience OR an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience. Other requirements include:
- Demonstrated strong and effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Must demonstrate proficiency with a complicated schematic and PCB design consisting of one or more PCB’s
- Broad technical knowledge and skills in one or more areas of Electrical Engineering (e.g., analog, digital, RF, and/or DSP)
Extensive circuit design experience for consumer products is highly preferred!
Our benefits are designed to lead an evolving marketplace, support innovation and encourage a healthy balance between work and life. They allow our associates to make their own decisions about their wellbeing and future and consistently rank Garmin as a top tier benefits provider when compared to other high-tech employers. We offer a choice of high value medical, dental and vision plans with low or no premiums, to fit your and your family’s preferences. In addition, Garmin’s financial benefits include a generous 401K retirement plan that provides 5% of pay base contribution plus a match of 75 cents for every dollar you contribute to a maximum of 10% of your compensation. The employee stock purchase plan allows for shares to be bought at a 15% discount. Garmin offers many other benefits and perks ranging from wellbeing initiatives, educational assistance and career development, community charity support, and employee discounts just to name a few.