Reporting to the Global Design Engineering Manager, the Senior Design Engineer will be responsible for developing circuit protection devices for the automotive passenger car and commercial vehicle markets. This position will focus on the development of new fuse product families for the automotive market. They will also propose and evaluate new technologies, for use in next-generation automotive products. The Senior Design Engineers work closely with validation, manufacturing and materials engineers in a team environment. Our teams work together to take projects through a structured development process, and deliver high-quality products to the automotive market.
About the Job:
- Act as design engineering lead on cross-functional development teams. Teams develop circuit protection (fuse) designs and advanced technologies for the automotive passenger car market, following an APQP-based development process. This position has a focus on new fuse product families. These product designs typically contain a fusing element, a terminal/connection method, and a plastic housing to contain the functional electrical components with good mechanical strength and reliability.
- Consider customer and industry requirements, quality & reliability targets, cost optimization, and design for manufacturability in all new product designs.
- Develop bills of materials, special product & process characteristics, DFMEA?s, test & inspection criteria, and otherengineering documentation as necessary.
- Create and maintain 3D CAD files, detailed engineering drawings, and materials specifications in Unigraphics NX.
- Utilize tolerance stack-up analysis and GD&T standards to analyze and refine designs, including review/approval of First Article Inspectionreports for new components & assemblies.
- Communicate effectively with customers and suppliers during prototype, pre-launch and early product launch activities.
- Propose new technical solutions to address circuit protection requirements, which are increasing in scope and difficulty. Develop ideas into unique and patentable product features, or trade secrets.
- Provide technical expertise as needed to Customers and Littelfuse Sales & Quality; help our teams to analyze problems, possible root causes and solutions for new and existing products.
- Prepare and deliver reports and presentations, to update customers and Littelfuse teams on the progress of key project/technology developments.
- Bachelor?s degree in Engineering or Technical field.
- 8+ years of experience in product or technology development, with a proven history of products launched and/or technologies developed.
- Experience with electrical contacts (terminals, relays, etc.) is strongly desired.
- CAD experience, including 3D modeling and generation of 2D engineering drawings (UG/NX specific experience is a benefit).
- Knowledge of common Littelfuse manufacturing processes: plastic injection molding, sheet metal fabrication (stamping, coining, machining, bending, forming, plating), soldering, ultrasonic welding, adhesive application, etc.
- Working experience with Statistical Techniques and/or Design of Experiments.
- Strong background in thermal, materials or electricalengineering science is a benefit.
- Computer skills: Excel and Word required. Working knowledge of the following are considered a strong benefit: ANSYS, Minitab, IQ-FMEA (or any other FMEA software).
- Ability to travel10-15% on an ongoing basis, to support manufacturing plants and customers with new product introductions. Travel is within the US and international (Mexico, Europe, Asia).
- The possibility to work in this exciting and challenging industry.
- To develop you professionally and to expand your knowledge through cross-functional collaboration and training experiences.
Our associates are a strategic advantage for us who are making a difference at Littelfuse. Join our team and make a difference every day!
Job Type: Full-time
- Product or Technology Development: 8years (Required)
- CAD: 3years (Required)