As a leading worldwide provider of navigation devices and wearable technology, our focus is on developing, designing and supporting superior products. Our advanced technology promotes performance, safety and ease of use in every market we serve. That makes us an engineering and technology company with a keen focus on recruiting talent in those fields. But the same vertical integration business model that keeps all design and manufacturing processes in-house also gives us the incentive to hire top performers from different backgrounds, including operations, finance and accounting, information technology, sales, marketing and communications.
At Garmin, you do more as a design engineer than sit at a desk working on schematics. You create. You build. You DESIGN. From building printed circuit board layouts to working with various equipment (multimeters, power supplies, oscilloscopes and more), you will design and build prototypes, solder and develop your own tests to help us with our ultimate goal – to create products that solve complex problems and make people’s lives safer, healthier and more enjoyable.
Are you ready to work up a sweat? Our Fitness Team is looking for a Senior Design Engineer to help us create products that solve complex problems and make people’s lives safer, healthier and more enjoyable. Our fitness technology provides a combination of performance, safety, quality, value, innovation and ease of operation to help our consumers get the most out of their workouts. We strive for continual innovation, resulting in high-quality, state-of-the-art products aimed at giving our consumers an unwavering level of confidence when they’re out running, biking, or swimming. If fitness is your passion, we need to catch you!
In this role, you’ll be responsible for performing schematic design, PCB layout, troubleshooting and debugging on Garmin’s newest Fitness products using established design standards and procedures. Other essential functions include:
- Analyze and develop new technologies, components, and features to make truly differentiated fitness products
- Find technical root cause and suggest corrective action for given problems using sound problem solving techniques
- Source and analyze appropriate components to meet electrical engineering design needs
- Work with the factory team to understand design impacts on manufacturability
- Collaborate and add value through participation in design reviews, providing comments and suggestions on electrical engineering design aspects
- Provide reliable solutions to a variety of problems using sound problem solving techniques
- Estimate level of effort, evaluate new options of similar technology, offer suggestions to improve processes, and provide comments on some electrical design aspects
- Serve as a mentor to less experienced design engineers (Design Engineer 1)
- Use good communication skills
Qualified candidates possess a Master of Science Degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering AND a minimum of 3 years’ relevant experience OR Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering from a four-year college or university AND a minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience OR an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience. Other requirements include
- Demonstrated strong and effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skill
- Must demonstrate proficiency with a complicated schematic and PCB design consisting of one or more PCB’s
- Broad technical knowledge and skills in one or more areas of Electrical Engineering (e.g., analog, digital, RF, and/or DSP)
Extensive circuit design experience for consumer products is highly preferred!
Our benefits are designed to lead an evolving marketplace, support innovation and encourage a healthy balance between work and life. They allow our associates to make their own decisions about their wellbeing and future and consistently rank Garmin as a top tier benefits provider when compared to other high-tech employers. We offer a choice of high value medical, dental and vision plans with low or no premiums, to fit your and your family’s preferences. In addition, Garmin’s financial benefits include a generous 401K retirement plan that provides 5% of pay base contribution plus a match of 75 cents for every dollar you contribute to a maximum of 10% of your compensation. The employee stock purchase plan allows for shares to be bought at a 15% discount. Garmin offers many other benefits and perks ranging from wellbeing initiatives, educational assistance and career development, community charity support, and employee discounts just to name a few.