Our purpose at Fiskars Group is to make the everyday extraordinary. Join our team and seize the extraordinary opportunity to influence the everyday!
The primary responsibility of this role is the development of innovative new consumer products from concept development and prototyping through delivery of 3D files/technical specification/drawing packages and ensuring designs are validated for production.
The Senior Design Engineer is capable of utilizing their experience in new product development and completing more difficult tasks with a reduced level of supervision or instruction. They work with a cross functional team including other engineers, industrial designers, product managers, brand & marketing, sourcing and manufacturing. They are responsible for communications with Fiskars factories, sourcing offices and suppliers to ensure that product requirements are met.
- With limited supervision, using conceptual design and 3D CAD modeling, design products that meet the objective of the project proposal. Develop technical documentation. - 65%
- Prototyping and perform design validation testing of prototypes and off-tool samples, and define design modifications to guarantee compliance with technical specifications and performance requirements. - 15%
- Develop documentation that defines the performance requirements for the product and product acceptance criteria to ensure an acceptable level of quality in the product. - 10%
- Participate in marketing research activities. Translate observations from field research, ethnography and focus groups into concept sketches and drawings. Analyze competing & related products and technologies. - 5%
- Support Operations group in identifying cost reduction opportunities and make required changes to the technical specification package. - 5%
- Director NPD - Overall departmental direction and priorities.
- Product Managers - Primary customer. Define project definition and identify key consumer needs.
- Lead Product Designers - Assist in managing resources, identifying assigned tasks and overall project timing. Provide direction on dates for deliverables to comply with project schedule and help with the overall execution of the project.
- Industrial Designer - Provide guidance for design language and styling.
- Manufacturing Engineering - Provide direction on manufacturing methods, and design for manufacturability.
- Sourcing - Provide direction for supplier selection.
- Test Engineering - Develop protocols and execute required testing
- Quality - Assist with identifying risks associated with the project and developing mitigation plans.
- Education - Bachelors degree (or higher) in Mechanical Engineering
- Coursework in product design, machine design, and/or mechanisms/mechanical systems.
- Experience - 5+ years experience in consumer in durable consumer products design
- Creativity, Problem Solving, Priority Setting, Time Management, Peer Relationships
- Advanced 3D CAD/solid modeling package - preferrable Solidworks
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Capable of basic prototype fabrication
- Good understanding of quality and concepts
- Advanced knowledge of different materials
- Advanced knowledge of manufacturability and associated limitations
- Surface modeling and/or FE simulation skills (structural, dynamic or moldflow analysis) - preferred
- Ability to devise new approaches to problems encountered and to solve problems with highly effective solutions. Provides technical and philosophical guidance to others - preferred
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Offers are contingent on passing a pre-employment drug test and background check.
Join us in making the everyday extraordinary!