5 - 7 years
Posted 228 days ago
I. General Summary
The Senior Decision Support Analyst serves as a critical resource for management throughout the organization by providing detailed analyses of departmental, product line, and organizationalfinancial performance. This position usesexperience, knowledge and data to provide insightful analysis and guidance to business line management and departments in order to identify and recommend opportunities/strategies for improvement. This position requires skills in thereporting and presentation offinancial data and will focus on business operations, benchmarks and goals to help guide the leadership in their planning and strategic decisions. Operations include the following areas: CostAccounting, Clinical Resource Management, Financial Business Planning, andBudgeting.
II. Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Provide consultative services to SJMC clinical and operational management to understand clinical program performance, resource utilization, and service profitability. Creates financial pro formas identifying best strategies for margin improvements, providing recommendations to the teams on what can be leveraged to drive improved financial performance.
2. Leads and supports select internal strategic initiatives and works effectively with multi-disciplinary professional and technical staff to ensure timely and accurate project completion, maintaining a high degree of professionalism and confidentiality.
3. Assists with maintaining the cost accounting system quarterly. Monitor and assesses procedural, resource, and/or structural changes and collaborate with departmental managers to effectively institute necessary changes in the costing system.
4. Provides guidance to leadership on financial performance compared to budget, prior year, or benchmarks.
5. Keeps up-to-date with the developments/changes in the field and applicable regulations and procedures affecting hospital finance and regulatory practices. Keeps current on finance information system updates and enhancements.
Specialization in Cost Accounting
1. Maintains cost accounting methodology and ensures that changes in financial operations are accurately accounted for.
2. Maintains a working knowledge of patient accounting practices and understanding of the hospital Charge Database Master (CDM).
3. Facilitates the production and distribution of clinical services profitability statements and other utilization and cost analyses.
4. Communicates with departments and clinical services on questions and issues surrounding cost accounting analyses.
5. Designs and produces financialreports to meet the decision-making needs of senior management
6. Support the hospital’s process improvement efforts (IMPRV) to reduce variation in care and improve both cost and quality.
7. Responsible for networking with hospital management and other decision support users to insure that the system is being maximized.
Specialization in Clinical Analysis
1. Ensures clinical data quality and integrity.
2. Develops and implements changes in the monthly volume reporting package and hospital daily dashboard for use by other Decision Support analysts.
3. Responsible for the coordination with other SJMC departments to insure that decision support data is either unaffected or modified to accommodate institutional and systems changes.
Specialization in Business Development and Operating Support
1. Assists in the budget process to provide predictive analytics of volume assumptions used as the basis for the departmental expense budgets.
2. Performs complex financial evaluations of new programs/ventures, including assessment of volume, reimbursement, payor mix, operating costs, working capital needs, capital requirements and the financial structure in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
3. Communicates with various departments in order to resolve various budget-related financial problems and procedures. Assists manager/analyst in understanding variances from budget and assists in documenting new issues that impact the current and future budget development.
4. Assist in the management and development of multi-yearbudgets.
Specialization in Strategic Financial Planning
1. Development of long-term financial forecasts that incorporate the changes in patient service activity, the reimbursement environment, payor mix, and operating costs.
2. Reports and maintains external and internal benchmarking indicators. Working knowledge of hospital productivity and management of costs.
What You Need to Be Successful:
IV. Education and Experience
1. Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Health Policy and Administration or a related field is required. Decision supportexperience may be substituted for education.
2. Five years progressively responsibleexperience. Preferably, experience related to hospital financial planning, financial analysis, budgeting, or project management.
3. Healthcare-related finance background is preferred.
V. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Outstanding presentation, communication, and relationship building skills. Proven ability to provide complex analysis in an audience appropriate format.
2. Working knowledge of the Cost Accounting Systems and its application to several operations of decision support. Extensive working knowledge of financial data and systems. Preferred experienceworking with Horizon Performance Manager (HPM) or HPM Explorer.
3. Ability to motivate and tactfully guide management and co-workers while maintaining requireddegree of confidentiality, integrity, and professionalism.
4. Team player with a strong customer service orientation.
5. Ability to address groups of various sizes, discuss/debate alternatives with other professionals and/or arbitrate differences of opinion and/or focus.
6. Ability to judge the level of confidentiality of information / activities involved in and exhibit integrity in use of dissemination of such information.
7. Expert knowledge of spreadsheets (i.e. Microsoft Excel), word processing programs (i.e., Microsoft Word), graphic/specialty and other finance-related software programs. Ability to teach others and act as a department resource of expertise. Ability to develop and evaluate complex financial data via use of computer analysis.
8. Excellent organization and problem-solving skills and team leadership skills are required to develop and implement efficient work processes. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
9. Ability to utilize clinical reporting tools and systems for understanding reported information and validating data. Preferred experienceworking with EPIC patient billing and EPIC BI Launchpad reporting.
Job ID: 64608