Role Value Proposition:
The resource in this position will handle database administration for Oracle and MySQL with a significant focus on continuous improvement and technology strategy, in a 7/24 production environment.
This will include, but not limited to, expert escalation for troubleshooting production issues, assists in development lifecycle, capacity management and strategy, operational standards and procedures, stabilization and optimization, DB instance performance monitoring and tuning, standards identification and compliance, continuous improvement, automation, partnering with Engineering on certification of platforms / versions / features, partnering with Architecture on data modeling / governance, partner with Monitoring team to establish monitoring program, change management, metrics & reporting, contributing to technical architecture and technology roadmaps for the database space, and providing technical leadership to a DBA team ensuring a high-level of reliability and availability for database management systems. Some on-call support for database related problems will be required.
The Database Administrator (DBA) in this position will have passion for data, and databases, and bring expertise to help us deliver best in class data delivery solutions.
· Position requires strong technical and leadership qualities, and will be the first point of contact from junior DBAs.
· Detailed knowledge of Oracle and MySQL architecture and internals as well as strong knowledge of OS.
· Pro-actively ensures database systems are maintained at the highest level of support in all production and non-production environments.
· Architect and provide DR and HA solutions. Expert in server , database and application security. SME on server optimization and query tuning. Provides expert opinion and technical details for business applications by performing capacity planning, workload modeling and prediction; provides enough resources for applications’ short and long-term growth.
· Ensure the database management environments are updated with current stable versions of software products; maintain currency with operating system and support software; plan and implement major software upgrades; ensure change management procedures and methodologies are implemented and followed.
· Participate in establishing processes, best practices, strategies, and database management solutions including development standards, backup/recovery, quality control, DR/failover, monitoring, maintenance, metric reporting, optimization, improvement, automation, etc. for Oracle and MySQL.
· Position requires strong leadership qualities, and will be the first point of contact from junior DBAs
· Position will have partnership with Engineering and Architecture peers focused on the data space.
· Project Management/Project delivery and documentation
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
· 8+ years of experience in database and database internals, with strong focus in Oracle & MySQL technologies. For example, experience in high availability solutions, clustering, working knowledge of technologies impacting database solutions including storage and replication.
· Experience in supporting a large portfolio.
· 5+ years of experience in Unix operating systems.
· 5+ years of experience of scripting. Strong SQL & PL/SQL skill. 5+ years of experience in Performance Tuning
· Strong proficiency in Oracle and MySQL rdbms
· Understanding of Oracle and MySQL’s underlying storage engines, replication configuration, de-facto standards and best practice
· Proficient in writing and optimizing SQL statements
· Knowledge of MySQL features, such as its event scheduler
· Familiarity with other SQL/NoSQL databases such as PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Dynamo etc. will be big plus.
· Knowledge of limitations in MySQL and their workarounds in contrast to other popular relational databases
· Technical working knowledge of virtualization, operating systems, network and storage systems
Role Value Proposition: