This is a Senior DB2/SQL Application DBA position for the Enterprise Data Warehouse team to assist with data warehousing projects as well as the production support of environments related. Activities will include project planning, development of technical solutions, partnership with Data Analysts and ETL team and implementation of solutions. This resource will be responsible for analysis of existing Data Warehouse & Marts data, environments and recommendation of solutions for current problem areas as well as working with operational DBA’s to plan for future growth. Production on-call support and off-hour installation support is required.
- Development responsibilities: data modeling and analysis, schema design, database object creations (tables, stored-procedures, triggers, functions, and jobs, etc..)
- Identify, assess, and evaluate technologies, products, and tools for building enterprise architecture services.
- Analyze archiving approaches, propose solution(s) and assist in implementation of chosen approach.
- Review and revise existing tables and indexing strategies to improve storage efficiency and access.
- Responsible for performance tuning assistance on all data pull/queries and working with end-users.
- Responsible for learning the data within the Data Warehouse and how Policy, Quotes, Claims and Billing are integrated.
- Pro-actively identify issues and coordinate resolutions.
- Provide assistance to programmers during development, responding to questions and providing guidance when necessary.
- Responsible for user direction/support on all data queries.
- Analyze problems and propose, present and propagate solutions or practices to meet architectural challenges.
- Participating in unit, system, user and performance testing.
- User level familiarity with version control.
- Installation and on-call support.
- 5+ years hands on database development in DB2/UDB and SQL Server.
- Highly experienced with Data Warehouse/Mart development, support and troubleshooting.
- On the job experience in Data Warehouse/Mart performance tuning.
- Experience with data archiving approaches and implementations.
- Experience with database modeling techniques.
- Experience working with very large scale databases.
- An understanding of proper indexing.
- Knowledge of DB2 Range Partitioning, MDC and MQT.
- Knowledge of UDB/AIX utilities such as backup, reorg, runstats and rebind is required.
- Experience tuning queries - ETL and end user.
- Experience writing and tuning stored procedures.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Experience using a Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methodology.
- Ability to analyze existing configuration and recommend hardware/software improvements.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Proven leadership and collaborative skills.
- Demonstrated ability to meet business needs with sound technical approaches.
- Self motivated, task oriented and capable of working independently on multiple, simultaneous projects.
- Must be a team player.
Other highly valued skills include:
- Knowledge of the Property and Casualty Insurance industry is a plus.
- Experience in designing and developing BI objects, Data Mining, Big Data areas.
- Knowledge of Perl desired.
- Knowledge of Embarcadero Rapid SQL.
- Knowledge of replication desired.
- Informatica knowledge a plus.