WHO WE ARE:
The Trade Desk is a global technology company with a mission to create a better Internet for everyone through principled, intelligent advertising.
Handling over 600 billion queries per day (more than 100X the query volume of search globally), our platform operates at unprecedented scale. We have also built something even stronger and more valuable: an award-winning culture based on trust, empathy, collaboration, and ownership. By working together across typical dividing lines, we are better as a team than any of us could be apart.
Do you have a passion for solving hard problems at scale? Are you eager to join a trust-based, globally-connected team, where your contributions will make a meaningful difference?
Come and see why Fortune Magazine recently named The Trade Desk among the best small to medium-sized workplaces in the US.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
We are looking to hire a Senior Database Engineer who will work in collaboration with our engineering team to ensure aligned execution of database related activities. You enjoy investigating database problems, performance issues, and evaluating best practices to ensure optimal performance on the platform.
Recently named one of the top 10 most promising companies in America by Forbes Magazine and one of the "Best Places To Work" in the nation by Outdoor Magazine, The Trade Desk offers a culture of "relaxed intensity" – one that comes from working alongside one of the most talented teams in our industry, and leading in a race that is ours to lose.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
- Provide day-to-day support and maintenance for Microsoft SQL Server 2016/2017 databases for our platform. This includes, but is not limited to: administration, analysis, support, proactive monitoring, troubleshooting, recoverability, failover, security, installation, and design.
- Investigating potential problems and issues raised by users
- Monitoring database events and continuously optimizing system performance through troubleshooting and tuning
- Work with engineering team to automate reactive procedures and promote rapid response to database issues
- Design and develop proactive tools and measures to optimize performance and take our platform to the next level of scale
- Maintaining database configurations in compliance with established best practices
- Designing and implementing systems, policies, and procedures for backup and disaster recovery
- Monitoring ongoing capacity and implement design and architecture changes as needed to improve global availability
- Installing upgrades and patches to existing database servers
- Designing and developing database code as needed
- Reviewing and establishing database migration patterns and weekly release scripts
- Participating in on-call rotations
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE:
- 5+ years of Database Administration experience supporting mission critical relational databases
- Considerable experience and knowledge of MS SQL 2014 or above and best practices
- Proficiency with OLTP Database Environments
- Experience with distributed systems OLTP/DW MPP is a plus, but not required
- Programming experience with C#/.NET is a big plus, but not required
- Experience configuring and administering MS SQL replication and availability groups
- AWS Database Management, OLAP experience, and Vertica management experience are a bonus, but not required
- Full systems lifecycle experience (from requirements to delivery) of database projects
- Experience designing, building, installing, configuring, supporting, and maintaining high-volume, large database systems
- Experience managing SQL Server table partitioning
- Top-notch troubleshooting and analytical problem-solving skills
- Experience with database design and management aspects for various compliance programs, such as Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) or PCI, is a big plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to document complex technical problems
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment, as well as independently with limited supervision