The Senior SQL Server Database Administrator is responsible for critical aspects of database administration including installation, configuration, upgrades, capacity/resource planning, performance tuning, backup and recovery strategy, promoting process improvement, problem solving, adhering to security policies and managing clusters of SQL servers. Experience is required for cloning production data to development/test environments, and application optimization including query optimization.
- Installation and configuration of the SQL Server Database (SQL Server 2014/2016) including configuration of High Availability Disaster Recovery environment. Support troubleshooting and resolving database integrity issues.
- Manage SQL Server databases through phases of Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC), from development through critical Production systems. Manage and create standards, procedures, policies governing SQL Server environment utilizing COBIT5 and ITIL principles. Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours, if required.
- Refine and automate processes, track issues, document changes, and document regularly performed duties/tasks. Independently respond, solve and correct issues in a timely manner providing end to end problem resolution. Work closely with Problem Manager and business colleagues to communicate status of issues/problems and strive to prevent future occurrences. Work closely with Business Units and other technical resources to understand new systems, 3rd party products and business requirements. Acquires and maintains knowledge of business processes relevant to data architecture and project support.
- Application of Data Modeling techniques to ensure development and implementation support efforts meet both integration and performance expectations. Maintain and configure SQL Server databases and their processes. This should include the monitoring of system health and performance to ensure a high level of security, performance and availability. Perform system analysis and create reports to display trends and overall statistics based on security incidents and event data. Documents database configuration processes and standards associated with setup.
Knowledge & Skills
- Strong knowledge of business software applications and hardware technologies as they apply to the SQL Server Database. Stays current with all IT industry trends, emerging technologies, databasesecurity, suggests and leads application of new technologies and process improvements.
- Working knowledge of COBIT5 based IT Governance and Management framework or other structured industry standard methodologies.
- Understands project plans and can clearly articulate their role, project goals, and timelines. Develops project plans for small projects; partners with Project Managers to develop project plans for large projects and assists Manager with resource management.
- Authors technical design specifications for smaller projects. Mentor other team members regarding technical information. Must continuously develop and maintain necessary technical skillsets to enhance business solutions within the UGI architecture.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information/Computer Science, Business Administration, Engineering, Mathematics, Information Systems or equivalent discipline.
- At least Seven (7) of MS SQL Server experience performing the duties of Data Base Administrator or any combination of other RDBMS (Oracle, DB2) with at least 3 years of SQL Server experience.
- ITIL (IT Infrastructure Library) Foundation certification (at hire or within 12months in position).