Senior SQL Server Database Administrator (DBA)
The Senior SQL Server DBA is responsible for managing the SQL Server relational database management system hosted on the Microsoft Windows 2008R2/2012/2016 platforms running in a cloud architecture. The Senior SQL Server DBA works in coordination with team DBAs, as well as other departmental resources to best meet database administration responsibilities while strongly supporting department and company goals. Core responsibilities include, but are not limited to implementation, performance tuning, ongoing maintenance, backup/ recovery, security, auditing, production support, migration, On-Call support and architecting adequate technical solutions that best suits the client’s requirements and needs.
• Listen well to others and share ideas in a constructive manner within the DBA team and with other end users.
• Collaborates, coordinates and cohesively works with Applications/ Business teams to support enterprise applications.
• Creates processes and procedures to minimize any potential downtime scenarios.
• Creates standards for SQL Server database administration that supports the use of optimal database server resources and performance.
• Facilitates server-side database development when needed.
• Implements automated database maintenance plans and backup routines using standard methodologies.
• Monitors database/ application growth and server resources to ensure optimum performance and availability.
• Prioritizes tasks effectively to operate in a timely, accurate and professional manner.
• Provides accurate status updates to management.
• Routinely evaluates/ implements improved methods or processes for administering and maintaining databases and servers.
• Troubleshoots minor to major problems on an as-needed basis – often requiring time sensitive response and pro-active communication to different groups within the organization Requirements
• Bachelor's Degree in MIS or Computer Science related field. Proven experience and/ or certification can be substituted for a Bachelor's Degree.
• 10+ years DBA experience with Microsoft SQL Server (2008 or greater) in a production environment is required.
• 8+ years of experience configuring, implementing and supporting large highly available SQL Server environments, including experience with Failover Cluster and database mirroring/ always on is required.
• 8+ years of experience with SQL Server troubleshooting; ability to proactively identify, troubleshoot and resolve live database systems issues.
• 3+ years of experience with SCOM 2012 SQL Data Warehouse, Precise i3 or similar SQL Diagnostic Monitoring system for reporting is required.
• 5+ years of experience with T-SQL and PowerShell Scripts is required.
• Strong working knowledge of query, index and DB I/O performance tuning, and Stored Procedures and SQL coding is required.
• 6+ years of experience with Enterprise OLAP Environment Administration, including SSIS/ SSRS/ SSAS experience, is required.
• Database migration/ upgrade experience is highly desired.
• Ability to cope with multiple demands and produce extremely precise, detailed and confidential work.
• Ability to facilitate discussion, to teach, and to train concepts related to data retrieval, data analysis, data integrity and analytical information systems in RDBMS environments.
• Ability to manage all DB maintenance plan activities including backups, indexing, integrity and consistency checks, etc.
• Ability to work collaboratively with other internal departments and entities.
• Deep understanding of database design principals.
• Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize work effectively.
• Excellent understanding of query execution plans.
• Experience running and supporting very large data warehouse databases (OLAP, Big Data) is a plus.
• Knowledge of disaster recovery principles and practices, including planning, testing, backup/ restore using disk-based backup solutions.
• Outstanding customer service skills.
• Self-motivated and able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with little direction.
• Strong organizational, analytical, and communication skills, both oral and written, are required.
• Understanding of Virtual Server environments.
• Prior experience using Microsoft SQL Server DMV’s for troubleshooting performance issues.
• Working knowledge of Firewall and network security concepts
• Working knowledge of Windows Server management such as disk administration, general performance health counters and overall server configuration
Mandatory Functional Skills
Administration of PostgreSQL databases throughout the development and production lifecycles in an LINUX based environment
Roles and responsibility
Able to work with client for understanding the requirement
Able to work on understanding the impact of the changes
Able to manage the Postgress Database Server solely
Able to recommend the best industry and automation practices
Perform role of "Reach-to" guy for any Postgress Database related queries
Total experience in required skill (years)