Implements and maintains smooth operation and physical design of databases. Conducts performance tuning of indexes and databases in general. Reviews database design and integration of systems, provides backup recovery and makes recommendations regarding enhancements and/or improvements. Maintains security and integrity controls. Formulates policies, procedures, and standards relating to database management, and monitors transaction activity and utilization. May develop stored procedures and/or triggers.
Essential Job Functions (includes but is not limited to):
- Oversee database operation & security standard, backup and recovery, data mirroring, Always On, Data Guard, and Log Shipping
- Ensure high availability, backup and recovery of production databases using Oracle and/or Microsoft SQL Server related database technology
- The Oracle/SQL Database Administrator will monitor database resource usage, making required adjustments.
- Perform periodic database software upgrades and patches
- Ensures that database improvements are successfully implemented and monitored to increase efficiency.
- Perform all standard and complex DBA functions including partition table space management, performance tuning, physical database design, data replication management, logical database design, complex recovery management, SQL coding and optimization techniques, etc.
- The Oracle/SQL Database Administrator will liaise with database software vendors on issues with open systems DBMS’s, such as software upgrades, fixes and patches necessary for the software.
- Good knowledge or Working experience in one or more of the following technologies – MS SQL Server replication and clustering, Oracle, Oracle RAC, RMAN, TOAD, BI Tools, UNIX, SQL, and PLSQL.
Bachelors of Science Degree in Technology related field
Note: In addition to the Essential Functions, also performs similar work-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelors of Science Degree in Technology related field; Technologist certification a plus.
- 8+ years of IT experiences & DBA working experience with Microsoft SQL Servers and/or Oracle.
- Working knowledge of underlying operation systems, both Windows and Linux
- Track record in SQL optimization and database high availability & disaster recovery configurations.
- General technical background of the HW/SW platform on which the application and DBMS operates.
- General knowledge of the application and system architecture.
- An understanding of business processes and the databases they access, and the flow of information between processes.
- Ability to discuss database and data management techniques and capabilities with both technical and business audiences.
- Create and maintain accurate documentation of the architecture, tools and processes.
- DBMS experiences in multiple platforms, including DB2/PostgreSQL/MySQL, strong pluses.
- Programming experiences such as Windows PowerShell, Unix/Linux Shell Script
- Must be a US Citizen
10+ Years with BS or 8+ Years with MS
Travel Requirement, Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
Travel requirement, such as:
- Occasional overnight travel as required; should not exceed 15% of the time
Working Conditions, such as:
- General office environment. The work area is adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated.
Physical Demands, such as:
- Office environment where the employee may sit comfortably to do the work. Some walking, standing, bending, reaching, and carrying of light items such as papers, books, small parts; driving an automobile, etc. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, and other office equipment.