Halfaker and Associates, LLC, an award winning high growth small business, creates innovative and customer-centric technology solutions in the areas of Cyber Security, Data Analytics, Software Engineering and IT Infrastructure to improve the health, security and well-being of all Americans. Our commitment to excellence and our vision to “Continue to Serve” has resulted in steady growth and an expanding client base across government agencies in the health, defense, security and intelligence sectors. Headquartered in Arlington, VA, we have employees nationwide and were recently named a 2018 Top Work Place by the Washington Post. Please take a moment to browse through our website and learn more about what it means to serve with Halfaker.
Halfaker has an opening for a Senior Database Administrator (DB2) to join our talented, dynamic team. The key responsibilities for this position include:
- Perform mainframe DB2 maintenance activities including assessing application software compatibility, planning and testing with other departments, reporting problems and recommending remediation measures
- Provide assistance in the development of the conceptual & logical database design
- Participate in database migration reviews
- Defining & creating the database objects; for Oracle, this is limited to users objects (i.e., tables, views, indexes, etc.)
- Assist application developers in functional prototyping
- Carrying out application performance tuning and testing
- Develop all necessary/ requireddatabase utilities
- Recommending/ developing backup/recovery procedures for application tables/indexes
- Support application programmers in the testing of database applications
- Provide technical assistance to other team members
- Provide input to the CMS/Project capacity planning function
- Provide ongoing database support/review in the CMS production environment
- Support security assessments and ensure compliance with CMSsecurity policies and procedures
- Generate and implement DDL to support the scheduled release activities in the development environment
- Work with Central DBA to implement the DDL in validation and production environments
- Develop database objects in adherence to standard naming conventions.
- Provide timely notification to Central DBA on database changes impacting Production environment
- Support Central DBA to determine user access to table, plans, and any otherdatabase objects used in the project in accordance with the security guidelines
- Assist the Application Developers in developing efficient SQL code to access and manipulate database objects as projected in functional requirements.
- Develop a comprehensive backup and recovery plan to assure total database recovery due to system outages or application program faults.
- Develop all necessary documentation as a reference for CMS systems operations personnel on these procedures.
- Notify and coordinate with Central DBA, APCSS, ENDEVOR, Networking, Security and Capacity Planning all migration plans and dates for database and tables database movement to a production mode.
- Notify the Central DBA and network personnel of migration dates, traffic numbers, type of network loads and peak times associated with tables and databases being moved to a production mode
- Advanced database administration and development skills using IBM DB2 for z/OS
- Knowledge of DB2 for z/OS services and architecture, database management techniques, data architecture and design techniques and SQL programming
- Experience with IBM provided database management utilities, reading and interpreting the results of routine database issues and the means to research and determine the causes of more advanced problems
- Ability to assist development teams in troubleshooting cause of SQL and/or application failures
- Experience modeling and working with both transactional 3rd normal form databases and data warehouse star schema databases
- Experience performance tuning transactional and data warehouse systems
- Strong oral and written communication
- Ability to document work in a clear and concise manner
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Systems, or related scientific /technical discipline
- 8years of relevant experience with DB2 Database Administration.