EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS) headquartered in Englewood, CO, with additional locations world-wide, is a premier global provider of satellite solutions and technology services. Together with its major subsidiaries—EchoStar Satellite Services and Hughes Network Systems— EchoStar offers employees the opportunity to explore the boundaries of what’s possible in the fields of engineering and the business functions transforming this engineering into revenue.
Hughes has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Database Administrator. This position will be located at our headquarters in Germantown, MD.
- Provide enterprise-class database services and operations support, with expert-level knowledge of enterprise database platforms including Oracle and Microsoft SQL.
- Oversee small team of Database Administrators in providing 24/7 production support to Hughes business division.
- Provide on-call coverage and serve as escalation/SME.
- Coordinate and interface with Development/Engineering teams for upcoming releases, qualification, and feature requests.
- Facilitate pre-production testing and production implementation.
- Oversee individual contributor projects/tasks and ability to track and report progress to upper management.
- Demonstrate initiative to improve service (efficiency, quality, and availability).
- Maintain skillset and augment skillsets by seeking appropriate training options for self and staff members.
- Implement best practices and maintain supported versions. Adhere to Compliance regulations and security practices.
- Bachelors degree in computer science, engineering or related field
- 15+ years in Database management and support of Oracle and Microsoft SQL servers.
- 8 years of advanced knowledge to include high availability configurations (RAC/Dataguard/Databroker/MSQ Cluster), data protection methods (RMAN/Recovery/restore points), advanced feature sets (Partitioning/Compression/GoldenGate), data integration (dblinks), monitoring (OEM) and performance analysis and tuning (explain plans).
- 5+ years of deployment experience in complex network architecture with multi-tier topologies, including production and pre-production environments.
- 5+ years in project management, proven track record of delivering quality and quantity for own projects and direct reports' projects.
- 3+ years of troubleshooting skills to identify issue, scope, and root cause.
- 2+ years in people management, building effective teams, providing leadership and development.
- Network service provider industry
- Compliance e.g. PCI, SOX, SOC2
- Automation engineering for build process efficiency
- DR/BC planning and execution
- Postgres, Hadoop, or other mid-scale database knowledge
- SAN/NAS knowledge