Position at VMLY&R
At VMLY&R, we create connected brands. We resist the usual ways of seeing, doing and thinking — harnessing creativity, technology and culture — to reimagine the entire connected consumer experience. Our goal? To create work that becomes part of people’s lives, to drive value for our clients and, in the best of cases, to impact the world.
The Data Scientist/Social Scientist will be based in VMLY&R’s offices in Washington, DC, with a primary focus on strategic support for a large national public health campaign. S/he will be a core member of our data science team manipulating large datasets, developing and building analytical tools and models, and creating and presenting challenging research materials to audiences of all levels and backgrounds, both internally and externally. S/he will be a key member of the team designing and building models and analyses that drive smart insights and at times will work across all partners on integrated mission-based communication teams, including advertising and creative agencies, media buying entities, and niche communications firms. While the work will be primarily on national federal government contracts around public health, this position is expected to continue after a specific contract and the data science team will transition to other projects and clients.
Most critically, we are looking for an unmatched team player who is excited about being part of a once-in-a-career effort to mold some of the largest behavior change campaigns in the country’s history. Background and specific areas of expertise are less important than drive, initiative, and willingness to take on items outside of your day-to-day role.
- Clean, analyze, and create visualizations using public health data
- Develop and deploy robust statistical and analytical tools and techniques
- Turn complex client problems into robust data solutions and fully own the client’s research needs from conception to delivery of final product
- Work with integrated teams of advertising creatives, researchers, social scientists and consultants to create a strong data-driven point of view while addressing all partners’ needs
- Conceptualize and build predictive models from large public use and survey data sets to address client needs; translate findings into smart, actionable, and timely insights
- Use and evaluate clustering techniques to identify actionable segments within large datasets and provide flexible profiling for external validation of the results
- Author clear, concise and technically sophisticated reports and present findings to clients (internal and external) of all levels and backgrounds; proactively identify opportunities to build from these findings to next steps or new applications
- Work across the DC-based VMLY&R team on contract management efforts, including proposal writing, pricing and scoping projects
Required Skills & Experience
- A minimum of 5 years’ professional experience in data science, statistics, or predictive modeling
- BA and/or MA required, PhD preferred in a related field (statistics, computer science, economics, sociology/political science, or applied mathematics)
- Proven success working with large and complex datasets, especially Census Bureau or other large government datasets
- Proficiency with statistical programs including R, SQL, Python and/or SAS
- Experience with Tableau, GIS or other mapping or data visualization platforms
- Proven success in consulting environments presenting findings using presentation and/or data visualization software
- Experience working on quantitative research projects as part of a larger research team and within a federal government environment
- Ability to explain technical concepts to general audiences and work with people of different backgrounds and fields
- Comfortable working on tight deadlines in a collaborative environment