Who we are
Founded in 2013, Thistle is an early-stage food-tech startup empowering our customers to get and stay healthy while improving our food system's sustainability. We deliver delicious, organic, healthy, plant-forward meals, cold-pressed juices, and snacks to customers on the West Coast at the elusive intersection of convenience, health, and sustainability.
We don't want to be just another food delivery startup. Our focus is on our customers' health and happiness, and we are revolutionizing how fresh, nutritious, high-quality food is purchased, manufactured, and delivered at scale. Thistle is headquartered in San Francisco, and we are backed by some amazing investors in the Bay Area and beyond.
Thistle is headquartered in San Francisco, but we are building out a remote engineering team. Candidates should be located within California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Arizona, Tennessee, or Maine.
About the Role
We're looking for a seasoned Senior Data Scientist to analyze and improve Thistle's products, marketing, and business. You will collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team of product managers, engineers, designers, and marketers on a wide range of problems and bring scientific rigor and statistical methods to the challenges of product development, customer acquisition, and retention.
What you'll do
- Design, develop, and maintain scalable, automated, user-friendly systems, reports, and dashboards that support our analytical and business needs across marketing, product, and operations.
- Use analytical and statistical rigor to solve complex problems, surface customer insights, and drive business, marketing, and product decisions.
- Forecast and set product and marketing team goals. Design and evaluate experiments. Monitor key product metrics. Understand root causes of changes in metrics.
- Drive a data-driven decision culture across the company; ensure that teams are empowered to monitor and answer their own questions while identifying the most important deep dives to tackle as analytics team initiatives.
- Contribute to the design, development, and evolution of Thistle's data warehouse / data lake, data pipelines, ETLs, and reporting and analysis systems.
- Design, develop, and deploy machine learning/statistical models and ensure rigorous validation procedures.
- Deliver strong written and verbal communications to collaborate with and influence business partners.
What you'll bring
- 4+ years of data science experience, preferably in a high-growth, consumer-facing company.
- Bachelors/Masters/PhD in a quantitative discipline(Analytics, Business Intelligence, Computer Science, Data Science, Economics, Engineering, Mathematics, Operations Research, or Statistics) or equivalent practical experience.
- Strong statistical knowledge and intuition - ability to tease out causality/incrementality vs. correlations; experimentation; understanding of predictive modeling; time series.
- Expertin SQL, Excel, and data visualization technologies, such as Tableau.
- Extensive experience in data modeling, ETL development, and data warehouse design.
- Practical experience using statistical software(e.g. R, Python).
- Experience articulating and translating business questions and using appropriate statistical techniques to arrive at an answer using available data.
- A passion for our mission: to make it easy for everyone to get and stay healthy while improving the sustainability of our food system.
We understand that everyone is going to have strengths and weaknesses with regards to different aspects of this role. We encourage you to apply even if you feel some of the expectations would be challenging to meet.
Life at Thistle:
Join a kind, diverse, passionate & driven team of all backgrounds
Enjoy Thistle meals at a substantial discount!
Team-building and Frequent Wellness Events
Comprehensive health benefits(medical, dental, vision)
Flexible time off policy and generous parental leave
First Fridays - get the first Friday of every month off!