OfferUp is looking for a Sr. Data Scientist to join our team, the right candidate will have a passion for manipulating and using new and existing data sources to help drive actionable recommendations. We seek to delight our users with the safest, simplest and most effective local marketplace app on the planet. Your role as a Data Scientist will be to research, design, implement and evaluate machine learning models and algorithms to make our products more intelligent.
- Design and measure experiments to test in various cross-functional areas to challenge hypotheses and come up with actionable recommendations.
- Identify opportunities and drive results across the company in product search, personalization recommender, crime risk modeling, user reputation, etc…
- Develop end-to-end experimentation-driven product improvements from conception/research, to offline testing, then live A/B testing and finally shipping to production.
- Act as an analytics advisor to solve business problems using data.
- Leverage the latest machine learning technologies to solve complex business problems.
- A passion for working with large data sets is a must.
- 3-5 years of demonstrated experience with machine learning or data science.
- PhD or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or a technical related field
- Expertise around programming languages Python or Java (or willing to learn quickly)
- Hands on experience in predictive modeling and analyses to solve real business problems
- Strong analysis, problem solving, data structures and algorithm development background
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
Nice to Have:
- Experience working in e-commerce and mobile marketplaces
- Experience integrating code into a live production environment.
- Some experience in some the following: entity extraction, semantics in text, image recognition, recommender systems, ranking, LDA, classification