As a Senior Data Scientist at APL, you will get to work with state-of-the-art hardware, software, and techniques to develop computational algorithms and statistical methods that find valuable information hidden in large volumes of data.
The Large-Scale Analytics Group (QAS) develops software systems that incorporate machine learning (ML) algorithms on big data platforms and graph databases as well as visual analytics to find details hidden deep within large and complex data sets. We support multiple agencies within the US Government by applying innovative analytics to uncover activities such as illegal activities, international trade fraud, illicit manufacturing of weapons of mass destruction, and cybercrime. You will implement and apply computationally tractable solutions and corresponding data architectures to address the needs of our sponsors. We are seeking a confident leader, creative thinker, motivated problem solver, standout colleague, and life-long learner that wants to strengthen the safety and security of our country. You will join a hardworking team in an inclusive environment that cultivates intellectual curiosity, innovation and creativity.
As a Senior Data Scientist you will...
- Design creative algorithms and analytic pipelines for analyzing large-scale and complex data.
- Lead analysis teams and develop proposals for new research. These proposals will be for sponsor-funded projects as well as internal research.
- Develop large-scale data architectures using technologies like Hadoop, Spark, and distributed graphs to support analytic algorithms.
- Build creative software applications and perform analytics on complex data.
- Present results to both JHU/APL and Sponsor leadership.
You meet our minimum qualifications for this position if you…
- Possess an M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Information Science, Mathematics, Physics, Operations Research, or a related discipline. 5+ years of experience.
- Have experience with statistics, machine learning algorithms, and general algorithm development.
- Have knowledge of modern large-scale data systems and architectures.
- Possess solid software development skills, including in an Agile environment.
- Exhibit excellent social skills, the ability to work independently, excellent written and oral communications skills, and good organizational skills.
- Possess an active secret clearance or higher; or are able to obtain a secret clearance at minimum. Preference for SSBI. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include US Citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you …
- Possess a Ph.D. in the disciplines listed above.
- Have experience leading software development and/or analysis teams.
- Have experience clearly presenting methods and results to business or government decision-makers.