Senior Data Scientist - Healthcare Analytics & Delivery, New Ventures
Less than 5 years experience • Professional, Scientific & Technical Services
- MSc or PhD in Machine Learning, Applied Statistics, Biostatistics, Data Science, Economics or related field
- 3+ years of advanced statistical modeling in an applied context
- Deep statistics knowledge/experience with predictive model applied in actual/business/client situations
- Experience with generating data from highly complex and non-standard raw data (e.g., imputation, etc.)
- Knowledge of the U.S. health and/or group specialty insurance industry OR experience developing predictive lead and churn models in B2 product environment
- Strong preference for experience analyzing group health & ancillary (life, disability, tenetc) insurance
- Will consider candidates with limited insurance knowledge but extensive experience with predictive sales models
- Experience with data visualization software (Tableau, Shiny, etc)
- Strong preference for candidates with R Shiny experience.
- Demonstrated communication skills; comfortable presenting to internal and external level leaders
Who You'll Work With
You’ll work in New York on our Healthcare Analytics and Delivery (HA&D) team, as part of McKinsey’s New Ventures. Within HA&D you will be aligned to the Commercial Analytics domain, a recently launched initiative focused on sales, product and pricing solutions for group commercial health and specialty payors.
McKinsey New Ventures fosters innovation driven by analytics and design thinking by developing new products/services and integrating them into our client work. It is helping to shift our model toward asset-based consulting and is a foundation for –and expands our investment in –our entrepreneurial culture. Through innovative software as a service solutions, strategic acquisitions, and a vibrant ecosystem of alliances, we are redefining what it means to work with McKinsey.
As one of the fastest-growing parts of our firm, New Ventures has more than 1,000 dedicated professionals (including more than 800 analysts and data scientists) and we’re hiring more mathematicians, data scientists, designers, software engineers, product managers, client development managers and general managers.
What You'll Do
You will develop and apply data science methods to improve and optimize our client’s performance needs.
You will develop and deploy the Commercial Analytics Growth and Retention Insights for Payors (GRIP) suite of tools and data assets (~60% of time), a suite of novel analytical tools leveraging a proprietary dataset to drive B2B sales growth for group health & specialty payors.
While you will also develop and deploy other analytical tools and data sets, your primary responsibility will be GRIP. You should be excited by the prospect of owning a product end-to-end, and you'll have the opportunity to develop models to transform and analyze raw group-level data & other proprietary data sets.
You'll also generate insights that shape payor growth strategy, pricing and product design. You'll communicate complex analytics concepts in a clear and concise manner to business leaders, including data visualizations and PowerPoint documents. As part of the HA&D team you will support client delivery in a collaborative and fast-paced environment.