SUMMARY: The Senior Data Scientist is part of BankUnited's newly formed Analytics Center of Excellence (CoE). This dynamic team of talented professionals is tasked with the development of a comprehensive advanced analytics infrastructure for the purpose of delivering high value analytic solutions and/or tools to enable data-driven strategic decision-making. The team operates in an Agile-based fast paced environment. Every team member is expected to be highly analytical, collaborative, creative and have strong communication skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties and special projects may be assigned.
- Works collaboratively with other data scientists and team members to develop statistical or machine learning models for a variety of applications across the bank.
- Develops software code and/or algorithms to explore, extract, clean, integrate and otherwise prepare data for consumption into models or business intelligence (BI).
- Helps translate business questions into quantitative methods used to answer them and support data-driven strategic decision making.
- Develops advanced BI dashboards and visualizations. Presents complex concepts in a format digestible by a diverse audience across the organization.
- Helps advance the team's continued education in advancements in data science, techniques and practices.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Degree in a STEM field (Advanced degree preferred) with particular emphasis on coursework or experience using statistical models
- At least 5 years of experience in developing, interpreting predictive models, creating clear and concise business facing presentations
- Experience in statistical model, broad range of regression techniques, machine learning models, random forest, recommendation systems
- Proficiency in programming languages, particularly R, Python and SQL
- Strong AI/ML experience including neural networks, decision trees, clustering, pattern recognition, statistical techniques, supervised learning, unsupervised learning
- Experience with AI/ML platforms and techniques (eg SageMaker, scikit-learn, H2O, Spark MLlib, DataRobot, RapidMiner,etc)
- Knowledge of No-SQL databases
- Experience in using at least one of the leading data wrangling tools
- Experience with visualization tools such as Tableau, Qlik or ThoughtSpot
- Solid knowledge of current technology data architecture, particularly data lakes and cloud environments
- Assist building Analytics Center of Excellence by providing best practices, how-tos, work develop training materials to enable citizen data scientists
- Work collaboratively with IT on technology aspect of data science including infrastructure and software to enable tools and technologies
- Ability to understand the business context and value derived from the various business cases undertaken
- Strong interpersonal skills to manage relationships across different divisions within the entire company
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) with the ability to articulate complex concepts into a format digestible by a diverse audience
- Ability to navigate in an agile environment to meet and innovate
- Ability to mentor and train junior data scientists
- Direct experience working on the Amazon Web Services (AWS) analytics platform preferred
- Experience in financial services preferred
- Prior experience working in an Agile framework preferred