About the Role
We are looking for a customer-centric senior manager to lead science and analytics for Maps! Maps develops the backbone of geospatial technologies that underlie Uber's systems--travel time and distance prediction, traffic prediction, route recommendation, navigation, pickup & dropoff location setting and experience optimization, and other geospatial technologies. Its work is critical for Uber's Rides and Eats businesses through: 1) improving the core trip experience such as ETAs, routes, and pickup & dropoff; 2) powering the core internal decision making systems such as pricing and matching.
Your team is responsible for developing statistical, ML, and optimization models for these systems; it consists of statisticians, ML and OR scientists, and data analysts, led by several frontline managers. The team is also responsible for all the relevant product analytics such as data, metrics, and experimentation and measurement frameworks.
What You'll Do
- Lead a team of 3-5 managers as well as senior individual contributors.
- Work closely with leads from engineering and product, and upstream and downstream teams, to define and execute the direction of the product development.
- Create the technical vision for the team on both data analytic foundations and advanced models.
- Communicate to executive stakeholders and other company leaders.
- Build a strong science & analytics team by hiring and mentoring. Provide technical and professional guidance, mentorship, and people management.
- Improve the understanding of data-driven product development across Uber.
- Provide technical and leadership feedback and guidance to the broader science community in the company.
- M.S. degree in Statistics, Economics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or other quantitative discipline.
- 6+ years of experience in data science related fields. 4+ years of experience in people management. Experience in managing a large team of data scientists (12+) and managers (3+).
- Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics, experimentation, machine learning, and analytics. Hands on experience in developing and prototyping statistical and machine learning models.
- Coding and SQL proficiency and ability to develop statistical analysis and algorithm prototyping in Python or R.
- Ph.D. degree in Statistics, Economics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or other quantitative fields.
- 10+ years of experience in data science related fields. 7+ years of experience in people management. Experience in managing a large team of data scientists (20+) and managers (5+)
- Proficiency in Java. Experience with real-time production engineering system
- Passionate about Uber's problem space, motivating, empathetic, truth seeking, and holding a high technical bar.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.