Arch Capital Group Ltd. is a Bermuda-based company which provides insurance, reinsurance and mortgage insurance on a worldwide basis. Arch Capital Services Inc. provides support and expertise to entities across ACGL to help them operate effectively and efficiently. Arch is committed to helping its associates create what’s next by providing access to a variety of programs supporting your professional development and a culture that encourages innovation, collaboration and professional growth. We seek talent that thinks innovatively, values collaboration and will go the extra mile to serve our customers and develop our company.
Strategic Analytics is a new, growing team at Arch. The team develops innovative predictive models and analytical tools to improve profitability and growth. Data plays a critical role in this mission. To be successful, we need relevant data with the right granularity and quality.
As Senior Data Engineer, Strategic Analytics Services, you will play a crucial role in developing complex data structures and pipelines. You will work on high-profile advanced analytics projects that drive the company’s decision-making and strategy. As a key member of the Strategic Analytics team, you will advance our data engineering capabilities and help the team’s data scientists to analyze data better and faster.
- Work closely with predictive modelers and data scientists to understand the business problems they are trying to solve and create the best-suited data structures for their analysis
- Build strong partnerships with peers across the organization to support data-related goals
- Continuously build on data engineering learnings and contribute input into best practices to make Strategic Analytics more effective in future projects. Anticipate modelers’ needs and proactively design intuitive data structures
- Direct and develop other employees to ensure best in class data assets.
- Assess and communicate quality of analytical data. This requires hands on experience to look into data issues leading to resolution or acceptance. Value data integrity by reconciling and documenting it at various stages
- Discover and explore new sources of data with curiosity and creativity
- Use technology to automate data ingestion and identify solutions to link new sources to internal data
- Provide the appropriate level of documentation of sources and technical solutions
- Perform requirements planning, monitoring and end-to-end requirements management throughout the data asset development lifecycle
- Ability to operate independently by managing tasks and engaging people across the team
- Exceptional communication and teamwork skills required to play a key role in cross-functional teams as well as the ability to collaborate and build trusting relationships
- Comfortable handling ambiguous concepts and breaking down complex problems into manageable pieces
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills as well as the understanding of data warehousing concepts and design
- College degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, Actuarial Science,Data Analytics, or equivalent
- 5+ years Microsoft SQL Server, Teradata or Oracle experience including data transformation
- Demonstrated experience building data structures to support analytics/research/actuarial functions in an insurance company setting
- Strong SQL skills required with a specific focus on data manipulation for analytics
- Experience with R or Python, unstructured data and ‘Big Data’ technologies (Hadoop, Hadoop streaming, etc) is a plus