A Senior Engineer is part of a key team of Nordstrom Technology professionals that applies scientific, mathematical and social principles to design, build, and maintain technology products, devices, systems and solutions. These technology products and solutions provide amazing customer experiences while meeting the needs of the business. The Data Engineer will focus on leading the design and development of business intelligence, ETL and database solutions. The ideal candidate is creative, customer-driven and has a passion for supporting e-commerce BI products.
A day in the life...
- Possesses deep proficiency of engineering best practice(s)
- Support the development and evolution of our data warehouse and BI platform.
- Partner with the BI Manager, Data and BI Engineers, Program Managers and Analysts on building a best-in-class suite of tools and reporting mechanisms to bring the most salient, insightful data more directly into key business functions.
- Coding proficiency in at least one modern programming language (e.g. Python, Java, Scala)
- Exposure to Big Data Technologies (Hadoop, Hive, Presto, Pig, Spark, etc.).
- Design and implement modernized ETL and data processing solutions through modernized cloud based solutions (S3, Redshift, etc) and deprecate legacy on-premise solutions (Oracle, etc)
- Develop data integration solutions leveraging multiple disparate sources.
- Continual performance tuning and capacity planning for future growth potential.
- Provide a constant flow of new and innovative ideas into the BI roadmap.
- Integrates broad working knowledge in related disciplines to create integrated technical innovations/ solutions for complex business situations
- Serves as lead resource for dealing with challenging technical issues
- Makes decisions which influence and impact the success of cross-team initiatives
- Works with larger team to drive to resolution on complex engineering problems
- Accountable for resolving specific issues within a particular area, application, technology or system
- Some exposure to working cross discipline and driving solutions for moderately complex business situations
- Leads end-to-end engineering support for projects and problems of complex scope and impact within practice
- Viewed as trusted engineering resource
You own this if you have…
- 7+ years professional experience
- 7+ years of experience writing advanced SQL, data modeling, building ETL solutions, performance tuning of BI queries, and data mining from multiple sources.
- 4+ years of experience in Analytics, OLAP tools, and engineering automated solutions.
- 3+ years of experience in BI reporting technologies such as Oracle OBIEE or MicroStrategy or Tableau.
- 3+ years of expert level experience in ETL optimization and tuning data processes for very large relational databases.
- Cloud Computing Experience (e.g AWS, Azure) is a major plus
- Bachelor's or Master's in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent