As a member of a team that is still growing within Petal, you will have the opportunity to help shape the Data Engineering team’s identity and footprint. The ideal candidate possesses strong technical skills, is comfortable working on ever-changing problems, works well cross-functionally, has a sharp eye for details, proactively owns and solves problems, and is always excited to learn.
As a Senior Data Engineer, you'll architect, design, and implement the next-generation of financial services products. We're looking for engineers with deep industry experience that can bring fresh ideas they're looking to put into action.
- Write high-quality, well-tested, observable code that runs smoothly in production and elevates the standards across the team
- Run and support a production data platform that supports the business
- Organize data from disparate sources making it accessible and usable across the team (e.g., Data Science, Analytics)
- Collaborate with various Petal stakeholder teams (e.g., product, analytics, operations, risk, compliance) and third-party technology vendors (e.g. credit bureaus, credit processors, bank data aggregators)
- Teach across the broader engineering organization to improve best practices and influence system design
Characteristics of a successful candidate
- Experience working with data warehouses (we use Redshift and Postgres), building out robust data pipelines and backend systems.
- Strong self-management, sense of ownership, and organization. Petal’s open and collaborative environment enables proactive and organized employees to really shine.
- Value collaboration both within and outside of the team. You understand the value of collaboration within teams and the power of extending that collaboration across the company.
- Be a quick, eager learner. Deep domain expertise in every aspect of Data Engineering isn’t expected, but be willing to learn and approach the learning with excitement.
- Flexibility. Petal is a startup and with that comes changing business needs, and changing priorities; you should be able to take on these changes in stride.
- Adaptable. As stated above, this role is mostly frontend-focused; that said, successful engineers here roll up their sleeves to dive into their dependencies when planning projects, debugging issues, and implementing features end-to-end.
- Displays inclusivity, kindness, and humility. Our inclusive and collaborative culture is what makes Petal a great place to work. We need diverse people who embody our core values to make it even greater.