The Senior Marketing Data Engineer contributes in technical solutions on behalf of Tableau's Marketing Data Engineering team. This team is responsible for building and operating our cloud-based Marketing data platform that enables self-service Marketing analytics. The Senior Data Engineer role will help solve challenging data integration problems by participating in development, architecture and operations work, related to building the Marketing data platform. The role will collaborate with product managers, engineers, and internal customers to scope and define implementation plans that meet business requirements. In addition to that this role will collaborate with other managers across Tableau to help develop our standards and practices while serving as a mentor to other Data Engineers. The Senior Data Engineer supports Tableau's core value commitments to delight our customers and work as a team.
Some of the things you'll be doing include…
- Help build and architect the Marketing Data Platform
- Build robust scalable data processing and data integration pipelines using Python, Kafka, Spark, REST API endpoints and microservices to ingest data from variety of external data sources to Snowflake, and use Airflow to build workflow DAGs and schedule jobs.
- Develop data quality automations and unit tests to ensure the accuracy of the data delivered to the Analysts and Business Customers
- Build solutions that scale gracefully as our data volumes grow exponentially
- Define and implement monitoring and alerting policies for data solutions
- Help modernize our SDLC for CI/CD automation and the Cloud
- Develop data models that support analytical models used by Tableau
- Participate in code reviews and related processes
- Help our Data Engineers grow by providing "humble smart" mentorship
- Work with product managers, engineers, and internal customers to identify and scope of the requests and define implementation plans
- Lead knowledge-sharing sessions to train team members on new skills or technologies
Who you are…
- Passionate. You have a passion for data, building data platforms, and enjoy solving complex data integration problems with modern, cloud-based technologies. You are naturally curious, enjoy learning new technologies and seek out efficient solutions without producing complicated code. You understand the value of delivering value to the customer quickly and welcome incremental feedback. You maintain a high personal standard for delivering quality software, with a sense of urgency to our users that performs at scale and is easily maintained by other team members. You enjoy collaboration and are comfortable working in an agile and iterative development environment.
- Experienced. BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent. 5-7+ years professional experience in software engineering role. 2-3+ years ETL development experience. AWS Certifications on either a Developer or Architect track handy but not required. Experience with containers and container orchestration tools such as Docker and Kubernetes are handy but not required. Experience with CI/CD pipelines is handy but not required.
- Technically Savvy. A technical background in data architecture, ETL development, data pipeline architecture & development, data warehousing concepts including database management.
- Demonstrated experience in the following areas:
- Writing Python code
- Writing complex highly-optimized SQL queries across large data sets
- AWS services such as EC2, S3, IAM roles, ECS, CloudWatch, etc.
- Airflow and Kafka
- Cross-Cultural Leadership. Deep experience working with a team of cross-functional disciplines
- Entrepreneurial. Strong Entrepreneurial drive. The ability to finish tasks start to finish.
- Go-Getter. Tableau Product knowledge or the ability to learn it quickly. Enthusiasm for a fast-growing, fast-changing environment.
- Detail oriented. Nothing gets overlooked when it comes to you.
- You are a Recruiter! Tableau hires company builders and, in this role, you will be asked to be on the constant lookout for the best talent to bring on board to help us continue to build one of the best companies in the world!