We believe that everyone benefits from their biological information. It is our mission to empower every person to improve their life through DNA. With our high-quality, trusted partners and state-of-the-art lab, we have created the first platform of personalized products and services powered by genetics. From inherited cancer screening to custom fitness and nutrition plans, the world of DNA learning is becoming more accessible and more valuable than ever.
So far we have raised over $300 million from investors like Illumina (the world’s leader in genetic sequencing equipment), Warburg Pincus, Sutter Hill Ventures, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and Draper Fisher Jurvetson Venture. Our app store and marketplace include partners such as National Geographic, Admera Health, Vinome and many others, with whom we have partnered to develop applications which interpret your genome.
Our big vision comes with big responsibility. That’s why we’re building a team of experts in the field of genetics, engineering, design, business development, and beyond to help bring actionable insights to our customers. We’re looking for the best and brightest minds who are passionate about our mission and are excited to work with a truly diverse team.
As a Data Engineer, you will have the opportunity to collaborate closely with data scientists and bioinformatics engineers. This position provides a unique opportunity to make an immediate impact. You will have the challenges of working with unique genomic and operational data sets, and to help build the data platform.
As a Data Engineer, you will:
- Design and develop secure data processing pipelines for predominantly bioinformatics use cases.
- Build and design a robust distributed data processing systems architecture that is highly scalable and performant.
- Establish and adhere to strong data engineering best practices.
- Own deliverables from ideation to operating in production, i.e., “If you build it, you run it.”
- Proficiency in modern data processing technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, etc.
- Proficiency with relational databasetechnologies.
- Proficiency in NoSQL technologies including column family, graph, document, and key-value data storage technologies.
- Understanding of the application of Continuous Integration/ Delivery
- 6+ years software industry experience in the data engineering field.
- Robust and in-depth knowledge of at least one programming language (e.g., Python, Java, Golang, etc.).
- Experience with cloud-native, microservice-based, software architectures.
- Passionate about code and data quality.
An ideal candidate will have:
- Experience with AWS offerings such as Lambda Step Function framework, AWS Glue, Redshift, etc.
- Experience with Bioinformatics data formats (VCF, BCF, etc.)
What Helix has to offer you
Aside from working alongside brilliant, dedicated, passionate, down-to-earth, curious, warm, and thoughtful people, we also provide great benefits:
- Competitive compensation, including meaningful equity
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, and vision
- 12 weeks of Maternity or Paternity leave
- 4 weeks of paid Pregnancy Disability
- 401(k) with employer matching
- On-premise nursing room
- Corporate fitness rate
- Commuter benefits
- Catered meals
- Flexible PTO