The Core Data Backbone engineering team has an immediate opening for a Sr. Data Engineer. This person would be part of the day planning and engineering of hardware upgrades, new hardware (router/card) installs and removals in support of all network elements that encompass Core IP Backbone Network. This position will support the entire Core Data backbone and the 29 state footprint into the Core Network. Individual should have strong IP background in an Internet Service Provider environment and be a close to expert level understanding of routing protocols. The ideal candidate would be fluid in vendor hardware technologies in a core network which is heavily Juniper and Nokia based with some Cisco elements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Development and execution of Engineering Project plans
- Familiarity with Racking and stacking of new routers and other equipment
- Installation of circuits (1G, 10G, 100g)
- Engineering design and execution of router installations, circuits, migrations and routing protocol implementation.
- Perform hardware upgrades, new hardware installs and hardware removals.
- Monitor and manage inventory.
- Work with vendors to obtain quotes for projects.
- Support the development of the annual capital budget.
- Coordinate activities with other departments to ensure customer requests are completed by desireddue dates.
- Utilize equipment database programs to perform record validations.
- Travel as required (about 10% travel)
- Prepare engineering diagrams utilizing Microsoft Visio.
- Develop engineering presentations, as requested
- Capacity management of the data network, writing circuit requests, quotes, and ability to forecast and plan the network out up to 18 months at a time.
- Strong technical, analytical, and organizational skills associated with design and implementation of service provider hardware
- Strong Experience preferred with one or more of the following hardware in a service provider network:
- Juniper M/MX/PTX/QFX Series routers, Nokia 7950, and Cisco CRS hardware and CLI
- Design and implementation of advanced routing policies in multiple vendor platforms.
- Ability to read and understand engineering guidelines and adhere to them for project planning
- Strong IP routing and routing protocol implementation
- Must be able to work with and be comfortable with BGP, OSPF, MPLS across multiple AS#’s and vendors.
- Able to fluently communicate plans, alternatives, and recommendations in both written and verbal form.
- Background in data center installations and facilities. Colocation Experience at a large data center/IBX center is a plus.
- Experience with Internet peering would be helpful