Senior Data Engineer
Data Science • Mountain View, CA
Coursera is scaling a global platform to provide universal access to the world’s best education, and we’re motivated by the passion and mission to transform lives through learning. Our platform has reached over 30 million learners worldwide and we have partnered with 150+ elite universities around the globe with over 2,000 courses in our catalog. We offer Courses, Specializations, Certificates, and Degrees to meet the needs and goals of the diverse learners who come toCoursera.
In 2016, we began offering fully accredited online Masters degrees which provide a more convenient, lower-cost, “stackable” means of earning credentials identical to their traditional on-campus counterparts. We also launched Coursera for Business, partnering with enterprise companies around the world to provide access to curated skill development for their employees.
BI is unique at Coursera. Our team doesn’t simply build reports on demand. Rather, we build the semantic infrastructure and products that empower our internal and external customers with the data to innovate and perform their jobs better.
We’re looking for a talented and driven senior data engineer with a keen eye for data. Our idealcandidate is an independent, analytically-minded individual with strong data modeling and software engineering skills, who shares our passion for education. In this role, you’ll directly workwith cross-functional teams to design, develop, and deploy data solutions.
You personally exhibit a conviction that the world needs Coursera to be wildly successful and alignment to our core values:
- Betterment: a tireless pursuit to drive results
- Boldness: take risks and act decisively
- Deep Honesty: invite and offer candid feedback in order to learn, change, and grow
- Solidarity: recognize that we are part of something bigger than ourselves and are committed to our mission
- Architect scalable data models and build efficient and reliable ETL pipelines to bring the data into our core data lake
- Design, build, and launch visualization and self-serve analytics products that empower our internaland external customers with flexible insights
- Be a technical leader for the team; guide technical and architectural designs for the major team initiatives; mentor junior members of the team
- Build data expertise, and partner with data scientists and product engineers to define and standardize business rules and maintain high-fidelity data
- Define and partner with other engineers in the development of new tools to enable our customers to understand and access data more efficiently
- Work cross-functionally (eg: product managers, engineers, business teams) to support new product and feature launches
- 5+ years experience in a data-related field, including data engineering, data warehousing, business intelligence, data visualization, and/or data science
- Strong software engineering skills and at least one scriptinglanguage (e.g., Python)
- Proficient with relational databases and SQL
- Familiarity and experience with big data technologies (eg: Hive, Spark, Presto) preferred
- Ability to communicate technical concepts clearly and concisely
- Independence and passion for innovation and learning new technologies