The Senior Data Analyst, Analytics, Reporting, and Insights (ARI) is responsible for identifying, querying, analyzing, and presenting through reports and presentations, a variety of data to support quality and performance measurement initiatives throughout Brigham and Women’s and Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospitals. This will require close collaboration with staff within the clinical departments, and many other analytic, quality, financial, and business planning groups throughout the hospital. Data and reporting support could encompass areas such as patient satisfaction survey programs, quality and patient safety reporting, clinical outcome performance tracking, asset utilization and measurement support, finance, business development, and others. The successful Senior Data Analyst will analyze and organize complex qualitative and quantitative clinical, financial and administrative data from multiple data sources, and synthesize results into meaningful reports and presentations on a regular basis, leveraging Tableau tools, SQL querying and Excel analysis, Epic reporting tools such as reporting workbench and radar, as well as other tools such as R, SAS, and Python. S/he will leverage their skills working with large data sets, distilling data down into digestible information, for consumption by hospital senior leadership and staff across the organization. They will serve as a resource and role model for other ARI data analysts, and train other analysts and end-users on core analytic and reporting capabilities.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Elicits data and reporting requirements from hospital leadership, clinicians, and other staff, using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, site visits, use cases, scenarios, data analysis, task, and workflow analysis.
- Determines appropriate tools to meet the end user’s data and reporting needs, inclusive of Brigham Health’s Epic reporting tools such as Radar, Reporting Workbench, Clarity and Caboodle, as well as adhoc data analysis through querying the Brigham Health data warehouse and delivering via Excel or PowerPoint, or developing Tableau dashboards for historical, analytical reporting.
- Performs data analysis against hospital systems such as our electronic medical record system (Epic), enterprise data warehouse (EDW), Balanced Scorecard, SAS data sets, MS Access databases, external websites, and Tableau in order to glean meaningful insights and produce actionable reports for internal customers.
- Presents data and analyses to key stakeholder groups as requested, including creating materials for and giving presentations as needed.
- Works with ARI staff in design, maintenance, and distribution of reports while also overseeing ad hoc data analyses and new report development as needed.
- Works with Analytics, Reporting, and Insights team to support, maintain and further develop our analytical capabilities with SAS, Tableau, and other analytic platforms, which includes but not limited to dashboard and report development, QA of existing reports, and documentation of system functionality.
- Performs comprehensive quality assurance, ensuring that databases and reports meet end user specifications and data are accurate and reliable.
- Works with new and existing ARI analysts to share knowledge in methods of data analysis, summarization and presentation. Trains other analysts and end-users on key analytic and reporting systems and databases.
- Perform data cleansing and data entry tasks as necessary to support data analysis and reporting.
- Represents ARI on internal and external committees or task forces as needed.
- Performs all other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in management, information systems, statistics, or equivalent experience.
- At least 3-5 years of experience, preferably in a related analytics position.
- Working knowledge of SQL and Business Intelligence tools such as Tableau , Business Objects, SAS BI, or others preferred.
- Knowledge and application of statistical analyses including financial variance analysis and statistical significance preferred.
- Some knowledge of electronic medical record system data preferred.
- Project management skills and/or experience a plus.
- MS Access and/or SQL Server database experience a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong proficiency with Excel, manipulating large data sets and synthesizing into digestible information.
- Experience with querying relational databases as well building dashboards and reports using business intelligence tools such as Tableau (preferred), MicroStrategy, SAP Business Objects, Cognos, etc.
- Strong ability to work effectively with senior level management, and staff at all levels within an organization.
- Experience with data manipulation, cleansing, and statistical analysis using tools such as SAS, R, Python, Power BI, and other tools.
- Ability to clearly communicate complex and sensitive data to senior executives as well as peers.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to tailor message to individuals and audiences throughout the institution.
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to focus detailed concentrated effort to multiple projects and re-establish priorities as necessary.
- Possesses initiative and ability to work independently while thriving in a setting requiring collaboration and teamwork for maximal efficiency and effectiveness.
- Attention to detail that ensures follow through on all initiatives implemented, and all projects undertaken.
- Ability to effectively respond to time sensitive issues and meet deadline