Blue Nile was created in 1999 by a man in love. He wanted to propose to his significant other and had the nervous excitement we all feel for that person who is just … right. But that excitement was met with frustration because of an outdated method for engagement ring shopping that only offered confusing information, limited choice, and commissioned salespeople. He knew there had to be a better way and founded Blue Nile based on a simple idea: Diamond engagement rings and fine jewelry should be fun, easy, and understandable. After all, they are meant for celebrating love.
This was a radical idea in the industry. That’s how we knew it was right. More than 500,000 couples have said “yes” to a better way to buy diamond engagement rings and fine jewelry gifts. And if you want to be part of a company that’s always blazed its own trail, we want to talk.
Blue Nile is a company of doers and everyone does their part to make the customer experience perfect. Far from a cog in a machine, the company’s structure can make you highly visible and offers the ability to learn, try new things, and see the impact of your work – regardless of level.
Blue Nile is looking for a passionate, highly quantitative and talented Senior Data Analyst who will be responsible for providing analytical leadership to our marketing organization, results validation, and customer acquisition and retention strategy development in partnership with marketing channel leaders.
The Senior Data Analyst will be a key member of the Blue Nile analytics team and will report into the Sr. Manager, Analytics and Strategy.
- Serve as the business owner for Blue Nile’s marketing analytics. Partner with Developers and Data Engineering teams to ensure robust and accurate data capture and continuous improvement of data models for both analytics and wider business stakeholders
- Provide analytical leadership to marketing team and company as a whole
- Responsible for the ongoing, in-depth analysis and distribution of Key Performance Indicators and translating key insights into actionable tactics
- Develop hypotheses and use data and testing to directionally prove or disprove theories
- Apply business savvy and real world realities to analytic results to develop strategic recommendations for the business
- Lead and execute high impact analytically intense projects, such as customer lifetime value, repeat customer patterns, cross-channel interactions, etc
- Lead the definition and data requirements for marketing (i.e. visitor, customer, order, and revenue data) to ensure accurate representation within Blue Nile systems
- Play an instrumental role in the development of business cases for new strategic and tactical marketing enhancements, features and benefits
- Recommend new technologies, process improvements or reporting tools to improve access to analytics among stakeholders
- Perform ad hoc data requests to find the root causes behind variances in business trends that often require cross-functional collaboration
- Proactively identify new and improved ways to track and report on key aspects of the business in order to enhance business intelligence
- Support department heads during budget and reforecast cycles and on special projects as required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field (economics, statistics, applied math, etc,)
- 5+ years in direct marketing analysis and related areas (internet retailexperiencepreferred)
- Experience with SQL and business intelligence tools is required
- Strong data presentation and visualization skills (Tableau preferred)
- Strong MS Excel and PowerPoint skills - experienced in manipulating spreadsheet data, merging worksheets/data sets, pivot tables, formulas, filtering and developing descriptive charts
- Familiarity with statistical programming languages and packages (SAS, SPSS, R, Python)
- Effective at communicating insights from data analysis and influencing change
- Strong attention to detail, along with organization and time management skills
- Ability to build and foster productive working relationships with cross-functional teams
- Self-starter who desires to discover trends and find actionable information
- Ability to take initiative and act independently.