The Sr. Customer Manager will be accountable for the planning and execution of Account Plans within an assigned geographic territory of key strategic retailers. The Sr. Customer Manager works to ensure individual account plans align to agreed-upon brand strategies as well as volume, spending and profitability goals. The position manages relationships with key retailers, and internal processes to ensure optimal execution of account plans. In some instances the Senior Manager will work with broker and distributor networks. As Clif Bar’s face-to-the-customer, the Senior Manager must “live and breathe” the core values of the company. Additional responsibilities will include salesforecasting, budget management and timely communication across various internal functions. Ultimately, the Sr. Customer Manager position will be a selling position responsible for optimizing sales execution across the four Sales Controllables: Pricing, Distribution, Promotion and Shelving. This position will cover divisions of Ahold Delhaize: Giant Landover, Giant Carlisle, and Food Lion. The candidate will preferably reside in the Baltimore/Washington DC region.
- Achieve quarterly and annual gross sales, trade spending and net sales targets by creating and selling approved Clif Bar & Company programs directly to key retailers.
- Achieve new item distribution goals and all other brand/item ACV targets.
- Execute approved sales strategies and tactics at the customer level. Ensure planned programs are both effective and efficient and that retailers deliver the required performance levels.
- Responsible for the development and presentation of fact-based, analytical and compelling sales presentations that provide ongoing education (Category Management insight) to brokers, distributors and retailers regarding the category.
- Collaborate with Customer Marketing to develop comprehensive and aligned annual Account Plans for each of the Sales Controllables (Distribution, Promotion, Pricing and Shelving).
- Develop and manage relationships with key retailers to assist them in creating consumer demand at the store level. Work directly with retailers to optimize program effectiveness and execution against Clif strategies.
- Actively participate on the Sales Team through collaboration, communication and best-practice sharing.
- Responsible for ownership of all activities within the geographic region assigned. Required to actively communicate any significant changes (i.e. competitive, Account Plans) within their territory to Customer Marketing and Sales Management as well as to use this information to keep Account Plans up-to-date.
- Collaborate with all functional areas of Clif bar, including Finance, Supply Chain, Customer Service, IT, Human Resources, and Customer Marketing.
- Budget Management
- Manage all trade spending within the approved Account Plan. Work with Customer Marketing, Sales Finance, and NAM to analyze any incremental opportunities and gain approvals.
- Manage travel expenses as an employee owner of the company.
Skills Required Position-Specific Skills Required
- Demonstrate industry, channel, and competitor knowledge and connect with customers to deliver factual information about products, nutrition, and trends.
- Be an effective communicator through positive and respectful interactions in an open, honest, transparent, and authentic way.
- Demonstrate strong presentation skills to both create and tell the story with conversational selling.
- Drive execution by owning the tasks from start to finish.
- Be capable of performing a number of physical activities related to in-store activities.
Leadership Skills Required
- Take ownership and responsibility for actions, behaviors and contributions.
- Be able to inspire and motivate self and others.
- Skilled at building winning relationships externally and internally and approaching difficult conversations with courage and truth.
- Able to apply good judgment in decision making.
- Shape and apply strategy by anticipating business needs and developing plans that deliver results.
- Apply critical thinking to issues and opportunities and demonstrate creative problem-solving abilities.
Technical Expertise Required
- Demonstrate proficiency with MS Office programs, syndicated data sources, and customer data portals as necessary.
- Demonstrate a strong proficiency for trade math, analytics, and the ability to use syndicated data to derive customer insights and opportunities that drive recommendations for action and desired results.
- Good driving habits.
- Business Degree emphasizing Sales, Marketing, or other job-related field or equivalent business experience.
- 5+ years CPG salesexperience.
- Frequent travel, approximately 35%.