- Structuring, drafting and negotiating in-licensing and out-licensing of patents and know-how, mergers and acquisitions and other strategic transactions, including research collaborations focused on a particular target, drug candidate, technology platform or other drug discovery modality.
- Partnering with cross-functional representatives of various departments on transactions, in particular working closely with patent attorneys and agents on diligence, FTO and upstream licensing considerations.
- Managing outside counsel in complex transactional matters.
- Advising on complex business and legal issues in support of collaborations with outside partners; working closely with Alliance Management to support the business objectives of a collaboration, interpret contractual provisions and negotiate and support termination and wind-down of a collaboration.
- Developing and maintaining strong working knowledge of licensing provisions, drug discovery and development, and manufacturing (large and small molecules).
- Contributing to cross-functional or departmental projects and teams.
- Mentoring and supervising contract professionals, including providing training and development of templates and fallback provisions.
- 3+ years in a law firm, company or research institution directly supporting complex licensing and strategic transactions in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology or related life science industry.
- 5+ years of licensing, mergers/acquisitions and/or patent litigation experience in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology or life science industry.
- JD with Bar admission.
- Life sciences undergraduate/graduate degreepreferred.
Strategic Transactional Law Expert: In a high impact environment, you will distinguish yourself as a strategic transactional law expert and inspire the confidence of your colleagues by:
- Providing strategic, well-reasoned and insightful counsel on complex legal and business issues with a focus on providing constructive solutions.
- Resolving challenging legal issues and delivering sound, clear, practical advice in a business setting.
- Staying abreast of evolving industry developments and related legislation, regulations and applicable case law developments or government enforcement activities.
- Facilitating the exchange of best practices and learnings with colleagues in the Legal Department and key business stakeholders.
Adaptive & Results-Oriented Performer: In an innovative and constantly-changing environment, you will provide strong legal and business advice to key stakeholders by:
- Exhibiting excellent judgment and negotiation skills.
- Prioritizing and managing an active portfolio of work.
- Multitasking with ease.
- Working effectively both in a team and independently; at times, you may be required to manage outside counsel or manage a project as the team lead.
Influential Communicator & Relationship Builder: In a global and complex company, you will be required to hone and/or develop strong soft skills by:
- Partnering closely with key stakeholders and building strong working relationships.
- Demonstrating outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written; able to simplify the complex and adapt to varying audiences.
- Interacting with Legal and business leadership on a wide variety of topics and issues, with the presumption that views will be well-formed, pragmatic and communicated in a cogent and professional manner.
Our Roche Values: Integrity, Courage, and Passion are core to how we want to behave, as individuals and collectively as an organization.
Travel: Some domestic and international business travelrequired.