About the role
In this Senior Counsel role you will be responsible for supporting litigation case management, including Symetra product divisional claims’ departments. You will also be advising key stakeholders in Symetra’s shared services departments of Human Services, Chief Operations Office, Procurement, and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion programs and initiatives.
- Work closely with key stakeholders in the claims department and other business partners to analyze and resolve complex coverage issues and disputes, including participation in mediations and negotiating and drafting settlements.
- Work closely with shared services departments of Human Resources, Procurement, Chief Operations Office, and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion programs and initiatives
- Assist internal partners with verbal and written communication to our customers
- Contribute to cross-functional decision-making by providing legal advice in connection with the development of company policies and best practices
- Prioritize workload by evaluating urgency of issues to increase efficiency and effectiveness of Law department
- Identify potential legal risks and issues by tracking relevant judicial, legislative and regulatory developments and analyzing implications to suggest strategies for organizational response
- Provide day-to-day litigation handling as directed by lead litigation counsel; and
What we offer you
We don’t take a “one-size-fits-all” approach when it comes to our employees. Our programs are designed to make your life better both at work and at home.
- Flexible work program and telecommute arrangements
- Wellness program offering employees a variety of resources crafted to assist you in reaching and maintaining your optimum health
- Plan for your future with our 401(k) plan and take advantage of immediate vesting and company matching up to 6%
- Give back to your community and double your impact through our company matching
Your education, skills and experience
- Juris doctor degree from an accredited law school.
- At least eight (8) years of private practice and/or in-house law department experience.
- Strong employment law experience interpreting and providing legal advice on different kinds of employment laws, including wage and hour laws, workplace safety, rest break laws, disability leave laws, workplace harassment, employee discrimination, and wrongful discharge.
- Specific Industry and/or Specialty
- Prior litigation experience is also a pre-requisite for the position, including drafting discovery documents and court pleadings, conducting oral argument for motion practice, participation in mediations and arbitrations, and deposition handling.
- Washington State Bar admission preferred, but active state admission for all states outside of Washington if remote position selected.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills.
- Ability to work within a team and handle multiple projects effectively.
- Ability to work on complex legal issues and deal effectively with clients.