Industry: Accounting, Finance & Insurance•
8 - 10 years
Posted 49 days ago
TD Bank, America’s Most Convenient Bank, is a member of TD Bank Group and a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank of Toronto, Canada, a top 10 financial services company in North America. The Toronto-Dominion Bank trades on the New York and Toronto stock exchanges under the ticker symbol “TD”. To learn more, visit www.td.com.
The Senior Counsel provides oversight, legal advice and support to TD Bank management in Corporate Group Functions and Business Units. Functions as legal expert in one or more defined subject matter areas and/or specific business lines. Provides high level legal advice to specific business area(s) may prepare resolutions, contracts, and memoranda to management, litigation documents and forms and participates in major legal actions. Responsible for foreseeing and protecting the Company against legal risks.
A Senior Counsel on TD Legal Department’s Real Estate team:
• Provides counsel to the Enterprise Real Estate team in support TD’s corporate real estate portfolio consisting of offices, retail branches, ATMs and operations centers located throughout North America;
• Drafts, reviews and negotiates: leases; subleases; income leases; memoranda of leases and recordation; purchase and sale agreements; closing documents; development agreements; easements; eminent domain documents; estoppels; subordination non-disturbance agreements; and termination agreements;
• Interprets and analyzes lease and real estate contract provisions and requirements; reviews title information and resolves ownership issues;
• Provides strategic advice to the Enterprise Real Estate and Retail Branch Operations teams; provides guidance on best practices to minimize risk;
• Anticipates business needs; addresses complex legal issues with practical solutions; and effectively delivers difficult messages to management while maintaining a positive working relationship;
• Manages and provides leadership, coaching and counseling to paralegal and administrative staff, assigning responsibilities and evaluating results;
• Supervises external counsel providing advice or other legal services to TD. Manages external counsel expenditures within prescribed budget amounts;
• Works closely with department attorneys and external legal counsel on specific legal issues related to the TD’s operations;
• Gives practical support and assistance to contemporaries, junior attorneys and staff; volunteers expert advice and experience; verifies that advice provided is understood; and
• Serves in one or more permanent or ad hoc practice groups or cross-practice teams of attorneys and staff.
• Must be eligible for employment under regulatory standards applicable to the position.
• Bachelor’s degree
• J.D. from an accredited law school
• 7 to 10 years of related experience, either in-house or at a law firm
• A member in good standing to a State Bar
• Detailed oriented with effective legal and analytical skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills
• Ability to exercise sound judgment
• Strong teamwork and client skills
• Highly motivated
Preferred Qualifications: Extensive experience in commercial real estate law working for a large financial institution or a company with a portfolio of multiple retail locations throughout North America.
Other: Position is based in Portland Maine but frequent travel to Toronto will be required.