Put a LIFT in Your Career! Hyster-Yale Group, Inc. ("HYG"), a world-class manufacturer of industrial lift trucks, has an outstanding opportunity for an exceptional, driven, and talented in-house counsel in our Portland, Oregon facility. HYG designs, manufactures, and sells a comprehensive line of lift trucks and aftermarket parts marketed globally under the Hyster, Yale, Utilev, and Maximal brand names. We are a global leader in the material handling industry and have been building relationships and partnering with our customers, suppliers, dealers, and employees for over 80 years.
HYG has an outstanding opportunity for an energetic individual to join the Legal & Risk Management team. The Senior Counsel, Product Assurance & Litigation manages product liability lawsuits (including both lift truck litigation and asbestos litigation), conducts and supervises investigations of accidents involving HYG product, and assists in product assurance training and related responsibilities.
- Manage assigned portions of HYG's self-insured product and general liability program by effectively working with and supporting lawyers retained to represent HYG and by controlling costs and exposures associated with the program.
- Manage assigned portions of HYG's asbestos litigation, including handling related insurance coverage issues.
- Identify and evaluate potential product assurance and legal exposures related to the design, testing, manufacture, promotion, and sale of the Company's products and related business activities.
- Communicate, educate and recommend appropriate processes and actions to engineering, marketing, manufacturing and Company management to minimize product litigation risk to HYG's business assets.
- 4 year college degree
- Law degree
- 4-7 years' experience strongly preferred with a law firm, insurance company, self-insured entity, or third party administrator in the following fields:
- handling and supervising complicated, serious injury and high potential exposure product liability claims;
- handling and supervising high potential exposure latent injury (asbestos) claims; and
- handling and supervising the investigation of fires and accidents relating to heavy industrial equipment, farm equipment, or automobiles.