Reporting to the managing Associate General Counsel – Privacy & Data Management or Vice President, Associate General Counsel. Provides legal expertise to all levels of management in the conduct of company business for CUNA Mutual Group and its Affiliates with a primary focus on privacy, consumer data, cybersecurity and data analytics. Effectively builds partnerships with business customers. Delivers creative and competitive solutions for CUNA Mutual Group. Demonstrates leadership on corporate and division initiatives and exhibits strong business acumen. Assists in the development of corporate strategic plans/policies and business plans/procedures in conjunction with senior management. Maintains a highly visible presence and countenance that inspires trust and invites consultation from persons both inside and outside CUNA Mutual Group to advance the corporate mission.
Framework General Profile and Scope:
- Requires in-depth knowledge and experience
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience; may lead small projects with manageable risks and resource requirements
- Uses best practices and knowledge of internal or external business issues to improve products or services
- Solves complex problems; takes a new perspective using existing solutions and approaches changes with flexibility
- Works independently, receives minimal guidance
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience
With a primary focus on privacy, consumer data, cybersecurity and data analytics:
- Ensure protection of companies' legal rights.
- Represent companies' interests with regulatory and legislative bodies in the various applicable industries including insurance, investments, and credit unions. Activities related to all areas include examinations, filings, product design and approval, licensing, authority, rating plans, and influencing proposed regulations.
- Provide legal options and opinions to facilitate reaching corporate objectives.
- Ensure appropriate corporate legal compliance across all areas of the law.
- Inform and advise senior executives and staff regarding legal issues.
- Ensure efficient and effective provision of legal services.
- Challenge self and others in a continuous-improvement environment.
- Demonstrate corporate values.
- Connects on personal level with others; adjusts style as needed to foster this connection; is sensitive to group dynamics and respected roles.
- Proactively listens without interrupting; asks clarifying questions.
- Develops awareness of non-verbal communication.
- Demonstrates proficiency in building relationships, consultation and influence skills.
- Engages with client on business issues as well as legal issues; partner with clients on business initiatives.
- Possesses a fundamental understanding of financials and dynamics of client’s business unit.
- Translates legal advice into terms understood to client and in terms that are business focused.
- Juris Doctor degree and continuing legal education within areas of specialty and responsibility.
- Authorized to practice law and in good standing in the State of Wisconsin or other state jurisdiction.
- Generally, up to four years of legal experience in specified practice areas.
- Knowledge and experience in the processes and procedures necessary to effectively represent CUNA Mutual Group in the judicial system, before governmental and regulatory agencies and in legislative bodies as applicable.
- Preferred knowledge and experience in insurance or financial services industries.
- Good negotiation, analysis, reasoning, creativity, and judgment skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent project management and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to present oneself and interact with others in a manner that inspires trust and invites consultation.
- Demonstrated ability to think and act quickly and perform under significant pressure and deadlines.
- Demonstrated sound organizational and planning skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work harmoniously and professionally with others.