Role Value Proposition: Primary responsibilities of this attorney will be to provide legal support to the MetLife third party institutional investment management platform, which includes multiple private funds and separately managed accounts in various asset classes for both domestic and international institutional clients.
Responsibilities will also include legal support for review of marketing materials, new product structuring, private fund formation, and drafting and negotiation of legal documents with respect to such products. Frequent advice and counsel with respect to the Investment Advisers Act of 1940.
The attorney will build positive business partner relationships with diplomacy grow talent by training and supervising junior associates and drive results by providing best in class legal advice in a pragmatic and strategic manner in a collaborative environment.
- Provide legal and strategic advice and counsel to our business partners and their senior management on all legal aspects of a sophisticated institutional investment management platform in a global insurance company.
- Formation and structuring of private funds and other fund products (domestic and international), and third-party managed accounts, in support of growing business initiatives.
- Facilitation of the growth of the business in existing MetLife investment asset classes and support of new investment strategies and initiatives.
- Review and negotiation of fund and other product documentation, including LPAs, PPMs, investment management agreements;
- Provision of legal advice in support in connection with marketing materials, RFPs and all other marketing efforts of the MIM business, domestically and internationally, specifically, detailed knowledge of the Investment Advisors Act of 1940.
- Able to work proactively and independently, analyze and handle complex legal matters with minimal supervision, draft complex legal documents and negotiate matters with internal and external constituents unaided;
- Ability to prepare, initiate, advocate and effectively present legal points and recommendations to influence clients and to represent clients as legal counsel;
- Support the operational and compliance requirements of this new business by providing cogent SEC and other regulatory guidance.
- Maintain diplomatic client relationships and provide education of business partners on relevant legal developments while growing own business acumen; and
- Efficient monitoring and management of outside counsel’s work product and costs.
- Prepare reports for Legal Affairs management.
- Ability to partner with our units in a collaborative manner to achieve enterprise goals.
- Perform other duties as required.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school.
- Admitted to practice before New York or New Jersey State Bar.
- At least 6 years relevant real estate work experience with a law firm or in-house.
- Ability to lead projects and manage interactions with senior investments personnel
- Proactive skill set to drive platform best practices and structure new products.
- Ability to oversee operational compliance.
- Demonstrated and detailed knowledge of legal and regulatory issues pertaining to an investment management platform.
- Crisp, clear business partner oral and written communication skills, in particular the ability to reduce legal issues to straightforward practical analysis and advice.
- Strong technical and functional knowledge of Investment Advisors Act of 1940 and business acumen relevant to investment management platforms.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Perform independently at high level and exhibit strong collaborative and inter-personal skills.
- Ability to effectively organize and manage resources to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively within the Investments Law unit and across the enterprise while moving a project forward.
- Ability to assume a prominent role in projects.
- Analyze all legal issues, drafts of all documents and negotiates all matters independently.
- Manage outside counsel to provide excellent legal services in a cost effective manner.
- Counsel all business partners including senior management.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Creates Partnerships – Authentically builds trusted relationships and collaborates across global, diverse and multi-functional teams to successfully drive business objectives.
- Models our Values – Creates a culture that promotes the company’s values and standards through role modeling, accountability and ownership of decisions.
- Focuses on Customers – Promotes customer centricity and ensures focus on creating great customer experiences to achieve competitive advantage.
- Drives Results – Sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards.
- Reports to: SVP & Associate General Counsel, Investments Legal
- Key Stakeholders: Investments business partners & senior management
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.