Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
The primary responsibility of the Senior Counsel, Litigation (IP) will be the management of complex litigation and pre-litigation advice with respect to complex matters with focus on intellectual property disputes. Responsible for advising clients on intellectual property legal issues and directing litigation.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Set strategy and develop substantive positions in litigation matters.
• Act as the primary interface between the company and law firms in litigation matters.
• Simplify complex technological concepts and develop compelling advocacy.
• Lead Corning's efforts during litigation to ensure high quality work by the legal team, cost effective use of resources, and appropriate focus on agreed strategy.
• Develop the best evidence and legal arguments to achieve best possible presentation of the evidence/arguments by outside counsel.
• Prepare cases for trial.
• Identify strategic alternatives/options for the business relative to litigation and dispute resolution.
• Review and edit briefs/arguments submitted by counsel and information from internal records/witnesses.
• May be responsible for some Commercial Litigation from time to time as well. Participate in internal projects related to cost management of outside counsel and other Law Department initiatives to reduce and/or control expense.
• Understand Corning's businesses and technology to ensure effective execution of Intellectual Property strategy.
• Some travel is required (domestic & international), and the amount may vary month-to-month but is unlikely to exceed 15% on an annual basis
Required Education, Qualifications:
• JD from an accredited law school
• Member in good standing of at least one State Bar Required Years and Area of Experience:
• 10 to 15 years of experience in litigation with considerable intellectual property litigation
• Experience in a legal department, law firm, or government preferred
• In-depth understanding of litigation procedure and practice
• In-depth understanding of intellectual property law and state/federal regulations.
• Effective leadership, organization, and planning skills, with ability to handle changing priorities
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, and influencing skills
• Effective advocacy skills
• Ability to write clear and effective strategy memos for management
• Ability to assess and quantify risk
• Science, engineering or math undergraduate education a plus or ability to learn and quickly understand disparate technologies
• Demonstrated track record of on time delivery within budget; ability to drive projects to successful conclusion
• Ability to lead international teams across multiple initiatives that involve numerous lines of business, geographies, and cultures.
• Must be a self-starter, ability to work in a collaborative team environment and ability to motivate others
• Solid leadership and negotiating skills
• Creative problem-solving
• Ability to ascertain trends and significant issues from data
• Strong attention to detail
• Comfortable working in teams
• Experience in keeping stakeholders informed and building consensus
Valid Through: 2019-9-17