Senior Counsel, Labor & Employment
Job Description Summary
The Senior Corporate Counsel, Labor & Employment will provide practical L&E legal advice on matters related to employee compensation and benefits across Cushman's Americas operations and support the Labor & Employment group in other priority initiatives. The position may be performed from either Cushman's Los Angeles or Chicago office. The hire will work closely with Cushman's HR and Business partners to ensure Cushman is compliant with business objectives while minimizing risk with respect to employment and broker compensation arrangements. The position will report to the Assistant General Counsel, Labor & Employment - Americas.
- Draft and negotiate a high volume of employment and broker agreements, including offer letters, broker agreements, and separation agreements. Partner with stakeholders to streamline review process.
- Oversee compensation and benefit-related business disputes, including non-litigated and litigated commission disputes.
- Support Americas HR in compliance with compensation and benefits-related state and federal employment laws and workforce objectives, including with respect to worker classification, wage and hour, benefits, and compensation and rewards.
- Review and update Americas employment policies and plans, including bonus plans, compensation guidelines, summary plan descriptions and severance programs
- Train and advise HR and Compensation/Payroll on recent developments in employment laws with respect to compensation and benefits.
- Perform other related duties as required or requested by the Assistant General Counsel, including support on to attorney demands and litigation in other areas, as needed.
- Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited law school and a member in good standing of a U.S. state bar.
- 5+ years of employment experience, with a focus on employment compensation and benefits work (preferably obtained at a major law firm and/or a major corporation)
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership with strong work ethic and follow-through skills
- Excellent business judgment with the ability to provide sound legal advice which reflects an understanding of Cushman's overall business objectives
- Exceptional organization and time management skills with the ability to prioritize, coordinate and satisfy numerous competing demands with a high volume in a fast-paced working environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a commitment to professionalism and integrity
- Self-motivated and ability to complete matters without supervision; must be able to work independently and be execution-oriented
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Prior experience working in the commercial real estate industry a plus
Cushman & Wakefield provides equal employment opportunity. Discrimination of any type will not be tolerated. Cushman & Wakefield is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.