Make banking a Fifth Third better®
We connect great people to great opportunities. Are you ready to take the next step? Discover a career in banking at Fifth Third Bank.
Attorney for one or more divisions, subsidiaries, or business lines of the Bancorp concentrating on a particular field of practice.
Responsible and accountable for risk by openly exchanging ideas and opinions, elevating concerns, and personally following policies and procedures as defined. Accountable for always doing the right thing for customers and colleagues, and ensures that actions and behaviors drive a positive customer experience. While operating within the Bank's risk appetite, achieves results by consistently identifying, assessing, managing, monitoring, and reporting risks of all types.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for legal matters affecting the Divisions represented, including contracts, litigation, transactions, regulatory and legal research.
- Management responsibility for one or more members of a legal team representing the Divisions including hiring, recruiting, development and coaching.
- Reports to senior management of division. .Represents and manages issues on all material matters and decisions.
- Proactive surveillance of regulatory changes to the environment.
- Analyzing and summarizing complicated legal documents, including contracts, and suggesting alterations to those documents.
- Interpretation of regulatory changes identified.
- Ongoing guidance of the interpretation for regulatory requirements and impacted changes.
- Researches and analyzes the law on complex issues and writing briefs for senior review.
- Anticipating and mitigating potential legal risks and developing strategies to avoid costly litigation and reduce potential areas of risk.
- Performing due diligence in legal matters concerning contracts, agreements, and mergers and acquisitions.
- Areas of coverage could include Consumer, Wholesale, WAM, Payments, Employment or Litigation, Corporate Law, Infrastructure Securities and M&A.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience preferred.
- J.D. required.
- Admission to a state bar.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to interface successfully with senior management using diplomacy.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Strong knowledge of the areas of expertise including technical knowledge.
- Strong issue spotting, risk assessment, and problem solving skills.
- Extensive research and analytical skills.
- Team building, leadership skills.