Role Value Proposition:
We are seeking a seasoned, accomplished and motivated attorney to join the company’s legal department. Reporting to Versant Health’s General Counsel, the attorney will successfully collaborate with Versant Health’s executive team to develop, drive, and implement initiatives in support of Versant Health’s contracting needs. The Senior Counsel will also be responsible for negotiating strategic customer contracts and provider contracts as well as providing practical legal advice on contracting matters.
- Draft and negotiate a variety of customer and provider agreements, including contracts with health plans, employers, and eye care professional participating provider agreements.
- Prepare and update contract templates that seeks to meet business needs, protects the company, and comply with applicable laws.
- Deliver practical, business-oriented advice with a focus on meeting the Company’s goals in a legally compliant manner.
- Act as a strategic partner on matters of importance to the Company by providing thoughtful, creative, and timely legal advice.
- Provide guidance and training to junior attorneys and legal support staff in support of legal department’s goals.
- Mentor and supervise junior attorneys.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Law degree (J.D. or equivalent) and bar admission required with a minimum of ten years of relevant legal experience, with at least 4 years of experience practicing with a national law firm and preferably with a strong record of in-house success.
- Significant experience drafting and negotiating a broad range of contracts applicable to a managed care organization, including contracts with health plans and self-insured employers.
- Experience with advising clients on healthcare or managed care matters.
- Knowledge of federal and state managed care and insurance laws preferred.
- Ability to handle complex legal matters with minimal oversight while escalating significant issues in a timely fashion.
- Sound judgement, a high degree of professionalism, and an ability to prioritize and adhere to deadlines.
- Communicates clearly, concisely and persuasively with a variety of internal stakeholders (corporate business partners, team members, functional colleagues, etc.), works collaboratively and builds effective partnerships.
- Prior experience advising managed care companies.
- Experience with process improvement in the design and implementation of contract lifecycle management.