Baxter provides a broad portfolio of essential renal and hospital products, including home, acute and in-center dialysis; sterile IV solutions; infusion systems and devices; parenteral nutrition; surgery products and anesthetics; and pharmacy automation, software and services.
The company’s global footprint and the critical nature of its products and services play a key role in expanding access to healthcare in emerging and developed countries.
Baxter’s employees worldwide are building upon the company’s rich heritage of medical breakthroughs to advance the next generation of healthcare innovations that enable patient care.
The Senior Counsel, Global Privacy will join will join Baxter’s Global Privacy Office and will report to the Chief Privacy Officer.
The Senior Counsel Global Privacy will be responsible for partnering with the Chief Privacy Officer and global colleagues in developing, implementing, and maintaining an effective compliance program to help ensure compliance with Baxter’s privacy policies and procedures and the various privacy laws applicable to the Company. Although there is a particular focus on U.S. laws related to the protection of patient health information such as HIPAA and similar state laws, a significant portion of position involves supporting privacy issues globally.
Working with the Chief Privacy Officer, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to further define the reach, program and role of privacy across this incredibly dynamic global company. S/he will be a commercially astute business partner who will collaborate effectively across the Company to influence and ensure the highest standards are met and prudent measures are taken in these matters.
The successful candidate will be an important part of the Privacy function. S/he will have the opportunity to make an immediate contribution to Baxter’s continuing growth and success. The person sought for this role will be a proven candidate with strong intellectual, technical and implementation skills. The position will have significant responsibilities for ensuring the company’s Privacy program provides employees with clear policies, high-impact education and counseling, and efficient systems so that they may achieve their business goals consistent with the law and the company’s expectations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with Baxter’s business leaders to implement privacy requirements into product offerings at the development stage.
- Partner with various business personnel to identify and address potential privacy compliance issues and proactively design solutions to meet the needs of the businesses and customers, as well as the expectations of regulators.
- Assist with investigations and response to alleged violations of privacy policies or laws and alleged breaches or incidents in coordination and collaboration with other functions and, when necessary, legal counsel colleagues or outside counsel.
- Assist with compliance auditing and monitoring activities to assess the effectiveness and efficiency of the Company’s privacy compliance program, in coordination with the entity’s other compliance and operational assessment functions.
- Maintain up to date privacy expertise, skills and competency regarding evolving laws, regulations, guidance and directives impacting Baxter internationally.
- Provide leadership through leveraging of business and industry information to enable the business or region in identifying and solving business issues.
- Educate business clients through targeted counseling, training and awareness programs.
- Act as a champion for Baxter’s Global Privacy Program.
- Conduct privacy impact assessments.
- Work collaboratively with partners in the Law Department and IT to ensure effective implementation of the privacy program at Baxter.
Education / Certifications
The successful candidate will hold a lawdegree from a top tier institution and be licensed in good standing to practice law in at least one state and one federal jurisdiction within the United States.
- Proven experience with counseling business clients.
- Deep understanding of global data privacy and security requirements.
- Experience in addressing multinational legal issues.
- Minimum 7years of legal and privacy experience. Ideally gained from a combination of law firm and in-house experience.
- Expertise representing pharmaceutical, healthcare, or medical device clients.
- Excellent communication skills and writing ability.
- Demonstrated experience in resolving challenging legal issues and ability to deliver sound, clear, solutions-oriented legal advice in a business setting.
- Experience working in a global company and matrixed environment desired.
A big picture thinker and solutions oriented lawyer with a “hands-on” energetic approach and style coupled with a strong work ethic.
High degree of accountability, professional motivation and drive with the resulting ability to thrive in a results oriented culture while driving excellence to optimize the execution of transactions.
Fast and nimble, able to pivot between audiences and provide sound legal and business advice in a timely fashion.
Must be a team player who is collaborative and resourceful; but also have ability to work independently.
Detail oriented and an ability to manage heavy workflow, while setting appropriate priorities and deadlines and delivering results on time.
Analytic and strategic with the ability to devise creative solutions to effectively drive toward recommendations and closure.
Smart, confident and ability to act as a “business partner.”
Impeccable integrity and ability handle confidential and sensitive matters with discretion.
Dynamic individual with a strategic mind-set, confident & with the ability to stand their ground when in discussions and putting points across to others, when necessary.